Thread: VS scrollbar in map mode

.NET Framework
    .NET 4.5

VS scrollbar in map mode

My latest Visual Studio discovery is that vertical scrollbar can be set to map mode for quicker navigating the source code file with a visual preview, see here:
    How to: Track your code by customizing the scrollbar - Visual Studio | Microsoft Docs

The article says bar mode is default, and I didn't change it, but some day recently I just noticed the bar was different, and there it was showing this wonderful code map I think maybe an update changed the configuration? Glad it did anyway, because I seldom go into settings just browsing. Can see this has been available since VS 2013.

So did you know? Do you use it?
    [xcode=vb] code here [/xcode] - see bbcode list or use formatting buttons in posting editor.

Visual Studio Community 2017

.NET Framework
    .NET 4.5
    They must have just turned that on by default in a recent update and I'm not sure how to make it go away, but in that time I've grown to actually like the narrow one.
    Neal
    VB.NET Forums Admin

.NET Framework
    .NET 4.5
    Right click the bar to configure it.
    [xcode=vb] code here [/xcode] - see bbcode list or use formatting buttons in posting editor.

.NET Framework
    .NET 4.5
    I wish they would added one item to the bottom to hide the bar. But then everyone would immediately and not really learn how useful it is by being forced to see it in action
    Neal
    VB.NET Forums Admin

.NET Framework
    .NET 4.5
    Isn't that at the top of Options dialog, the 'Show... scrollbar' checkbox? I prefer to actually have a scrollbar, in any fashion, but I did found the map mode intriguing.

.NET Framework
    .NET 4.0
    When VS 15.8.1 became available I installed it on my home desktop, my Surface and my work desktop. Map mode was enabled automatically on my home desktop but not on the others. It's a feature that has been available in VS Code for a while so I guess they must have got some good feedback from there. I don't really use it much but I've got plenty of space widthwise (I pretty much always have VS maximised) so I've enabled it everywhere. Even if I only get a bit of benefit, which I do, then it's benefit.

.NET Framework
    .NET 4.5
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    When VS 15.8.1 became available I installed it on my home desktop, my Surface and my work desktop. Map mode was enabled automatically on my home desktop but not on the others.
    Actually that happened for me too, the update enabled in on my work pc and not the home pc - but then it had finally grabbed my attention