Resolved Click link run vb code

JuggaloBrotha

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
I've got a webapp that displays data in a GrdiView and one of the columns I need to have a link displayed for the user to click on, which I've got just fine:

VB.NET:
<a href="#" runat="server"><%#DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.FILENAME")%></a>
but when this link is clicked I need it to run a subroutine in the code behind file, similar to handling an asp:ComboBox's SelectedIndexChanged event. How do I do this? I'll also need to pass the <%#DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.FILENAME")%> value to the routine somehow too. Any ideas?

Edit: Would an asp:LinkLabel be of use?

You should be able to just use a ButtonField.

VB.NET:
<gridview>
    <columns>
    <asp:ButtonField HeaderText="" DataTextField="" ButtonType="Link" CommandName="DoSomething" />
    </columns>
</gridview>

Then put your code n the RowCommand Event for the GridView

VB.NET:
if e.CommandName = "DoSomething" Then
   dim row as GridViewRow = GridView1.Rows(e.CommandArgument)
   'E.CommandArgument is the row index(i believe)
End If

Thanks, much appreciated.
VB.NET:
<asp:GridView CssClass="gv" ID="gvWebLocations" runat="server" Width="100%" AutoGenerateColumns="False" OnRowCommand="gvWebLocations_RowCommand">
    <Columns>
        <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Available Files">
            <ItemTemplate>
                <asp:Label ID="QQNameLabel" runat="server" Text='<%#DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.FILENAME")%>' />
            </ItemTemplate>
        </asp:TemplateField>
        <asp:ButtonField ButtonType="Link" CommandName="ZoomTo" Text="Zoom To" HeaderText="" />
        <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="">
            <ItemTemplate>
                <a href="<%#FormatURL(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "FILENAME")) %>" target="DL">Download Data</a>
            </ItemTemplate>
        </asp:TemplateField>
    </Columns>
    <EmptyDataTemplate>
        <div>Select a map location to find files to download.</div>
    </EmptyDataTemplate>
    <EmptyDataRowStyle  CssClass="gvEmptyData" />
    <HeaderStyle CssClass="gvHeader"  />
    <AlternatingRowStyle CssClass="odd" />
</asp:GridView>

Protected Sub gvWebLocations_RowCommand(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As GridViewCommandEventArgs)
    If e.CommandName = "ZoomTo" Then
        Dim QQName As String = DirectCast(gvWebLocations.Rows(Convert.ToInt32(e.CommandArgument)).Cells(0).Controls(1), Label).Text
        'Rest of code....
    End If
End Sub

No problem.

I've always retrieved data from code the way you have but I think adding the field name to the DataKeyNames property is the better option.

VB.NET:
<asp:GridView CssClass="gv" ID="gvWebLocations" runat="server" Width="100%" AutoGenerateColumns="False" OnRowCommand="gvWebLocations_RowCommand" DataKeyNames="FILENAME">

Then using something like this
VB.NET:
Dim QQName As String = gvWebLocations.DataKeys(e.CommandArgument).Value

Is there a way to have 2 DataKeyNames specified? In the actual app here I'd have a need to have 2 of them specified if I were to do it using the DataKeyNames field.

I'm pretty sure you can just separate them by commas. then in the code just use .Values() instead of .Value()

Latest posts

Back