Security Exception When Trying to Acess Registry

curlydog

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,
I'm putting a little windows forms application together using VS2012 on a x64 machine. I'm at the very early stages and I'm testing getting values from the registry.

I have manually written some entries into the registry for testing, but I'm having trouble seeing them when I test my application. I understand this is due to differences in registry access when using x86 or x64 systems.

I have my project settings set to any CPU under the target cpu in the compile section of the project properties. There is also a checkbox for "Prefer 32-Bit". When this is checked, I can read from the registry, except for the values I entered manually. When I uncheck the prefer 32-bit box I get errors. The error occurs when I try and open any sub key using "Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey("SOFTWARE\Microsoft", True)"
"System.Security.SecurityException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
Requested registry access is not allowed."

Strange things is I dropped the project into Dropbox so I could test at work (also on a x64 machine) and everything was fine. By unchecking the prefer 32-bit checkbox I could read all the registry, including the ones I had created manually.

It is clearly an issue with permissions. At work I'm on a domain and using a domain admin account. At home I'm using an admin account on the local machine which is part of a workgroup. Could the project residing in dropbox affect the permission? I've tried dragging in back into My Documents but I'm still getting the same errrors.

All the help I can find relates to ASP.NEt pages throwing these errors in relation to writing to eventlogs, but this isn't relevant to my forms application. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back