data entry forms and other processes
Using: VS 2008 Professional, SQL Server 2008 R2, VB.NET 3.5 on Win7 machine
First, if this post is in the wrong area, please forgive me as the questions do cover many areas.
Second, I am asking for help and direction to the resources to help me figure this out. I am not asking for someone to give me all the code I need. I may just need help in rewording my search criteria to help me locate it. I cant find a complete example based on all of my conditions. This is not an N-Tier app.
In all the walkthroughs and many other searches I have made, basically dragging a dataset onto a form to display all the records does not fit my needs or requirements. I need to create unbound forms that users input data, then when validating events are ok, the parameters are passed to a stored procedure to insert the new of data. I have been trying to use ConnectionManager to use my connection string named from my settings of the application, so when I do finalize the app and load on the server I can change the connection string in one place. I will give you an outline of what I am required to build.
Note - This is part of an MDI application and the NavBar links open these forms. Stored Procedures are mandatory as the database will be hosted on SQL Azure
1. User clicks on link on NavBar for certain form to add data
2. Form1 opens asking user to add data
3. When user is finished, button_click event references validating events and if ok, sproc is executed (all textboxes parameters are passed)
4. Record has been added and form closes
Then, after that is completed the user may want to edit the record
1. User clicks on link from NavBar to edit an item
2. Form2 (which is just a listbox) opens displaying the records they hay have entered (sproc opened by parameter of username in database table)
3. Select record from list and double click, Form3 opens displaying the selected record. (sproc parameter passed by listbox.selectedvalue)
4. Once corrected user is asked to save record and form closes (sproc used to update record)
Thanks in advance to all
So are you using a typed DataSet or not? Typed DataSets do not require you to drag tables from the Data Sources window to create bound controls. They can be used totally in code if desired and they also work with stored procedures. It's up to you whether you want to use one or not but the advice will be different depending on the choice. The advantage with a typed DataSet is that it is typed, so you can refer to a field in a record as a .NET property, with full Intellisense, instead of using a magic string to specify the column name. You can still invoke a sproc with individual parameter values to save data, either directly or via a DataTable.
Yes, I am using typed datasets. I use the 'Create New Data Source' wizard for my data source and then give it a specific name.