Any suggestions of published

Glen

Programming Experience
Beginner
Good day to all.

Can you suggest books about VB.net.
I want to be familiar with this language.
I need a book that can build my VB skills from basic to advance.
Also, the book must mention Oracle or MySQL as a database coz that is only the DB that I am familiar of.

Any suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks!

You don't necessarily need your source material to mention Oracle or MySQL because data access is pretty much the same regardless of the database. The SQL syntax might change slightly from one to another and the connection string will change but the structure of the code will be the same regardless. If you want to connect to a database then you use a SqlConnection for SQL Server, an OracleConnection for Oracle or a MySqlConnection for MySQL. They all have the same base class and they present the same interface so using one is basically the same as using another. You'll find that most learning material will use SQL Server because SQL Server Express is free and integrated with VS.

As for books, various people will tell you different things because everyone has used different books but this is one that I've had good experience with:

Visual Basic 2010 How to Program

I was one of the reviewers for the 2008 edition and that is the 2010 edition. There is presumably a 2012 edition on the way.

Thanks sir. Does this have instructions of connecting the program to a database?

Having looked at the table of contents, I see that it concentrates on LINQ to SQL as a data access technology. That's actually rather unfortunate because it is specific to SQL Server. It would have been much better if they had used the Entity Framework, which works with SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL and others. The two are very similar in many ways, but not the same. From that point of view, maybe it's not the best book for someone who intends not to use SQL Server.

Back