Beginner books?

The Hacker

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi everyone I know you get this alot but can anyone please help. I'm staying in a town that doesn't give programming classes only IT like A+ N+ and so on. I was wondering can anyone please help me with a book on beginner programming please? I really don't know anything about programming but would really like to become a programmer please. So if anyone can help me so that I would be abel to learn on my own just to see if I can do it then I could go to the colleage in the next town to get my papers. I was wondering would C# be good to start with or what do you guys think.:)

I was wondering would C# be good to start with or what do you guys think.:)
This is a VB.NET site, not a general programming site. We think VB.NET would be a good place to start. If you need help with VB.NET then we can provide it. If you want help with C# or general programming then you'll need to look elsewhere.

As far as books go, I don't have too much recent experience with beginner books but, having been a reviewer for it, I can say that the VB 2008 booh from Deitel & Deitel is very good. Not cheap, but very good.

Visual Basic 2008 How to Program

I have extensive experience in VB.Net, C#.Net and C/C++ so take my word for it C# is not a good language to start off with over VB.Net because VB.Net is easier than C# will ever be C# and VB.Net are both .Net languages so in most cases VB.Net source code can be translated into C# source code and vice versa if you know what your doing but the C# syntax is more similar to the C/C++ syntax than VB.Net so if you don't know what your doing your going to struggle with C# if you want I don't mind giving you any tips in VB.Net but the guy that posted the other message is right don't start with C# you will only confuse yourself

I think that Visual Basic 2010 could be a good starting point for you. I will suggest this book "Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Step by step" by Michal Halvorson. Published by Microsoft Press

I am also new to VB.net. I've just started studying 'Beginning VB 2008 From Novice to Professional' by 'Christian Gross' and found it very helpful.

Back