Beginner looking for guidance

GRBurster

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello

I am new to programming and looking for someone who could help me with my project.
I have designed an application but when comes to code the objects its complete different story.
Don't know how to make some objects to work together and always have tons of questions but sadly nobody to answer them.
E.g. how to make the label that changes to log that changes into listbox (if possible at all)?
If anyone be willing to correspond with me via priv. messages I'll be much appreciated.

Thank You

It does make sens Mr jmcilhinney, so ...

Question number:

1. Is it possible to put text label into a listbox? (I have a button that generates random number with every click and displays it as a label, I want that label result to be logged in the listbox, like some sort of numbers history)

2. I am going to put another button that will again run the label as numbers but steadily rising from 94 to 103 (by 0.01 each second let say) no need to log results, what syntax do I need use for that?

3. Does someone knows any useful website with the list of common commands for VB.net

These are the main issues I have, the rest of the features in my project I probably be able to deal with, fingers crossed ;)

Thanks in advance

For future reference, please keep each thread to a single topic and each topic to a single thread. If you have multiple questions on different topics then please create multiple threads, each with a title that describes that specific topic.

1. You don't put a Label in a ListBox and you don't display a number as a Label. A Label is a control; specifically a control for displaying text. You can add the same text to a ListBox as you display in a Label but there's no connection between the two controls. From your description, it sounds like what you should be doing is generating a number and then both adding that to the Items collection of the ListBox and converting it to a String and assigning it to the Text of the Label. Each new number will replace the last in the Label and be added to the list in the ListBox. Again, there's no connection between the controls. If you have a number that you want to add to a ListBox then do so, no matter what else you want to do with that same number.

2. You don't run a Label as numbers. As I said, if you have a number that you want to display in a Label then convert that number to a String, i.e. call its ToString method, and assign that to the Text of the Label. Where the String comes from is irrelevant to the Label.

3. There isn't really any such thing. VB.NET is a rich language and the .NET class library is vast. You could find a list of VB keywords but some of those wouldn't get used much, especially at first, and that would also ignore the large number of .NET types and members that get commonly used. I would suggest that the best thing you can do is to start by working your way through a beginners tutorial. There's a link to a good one in my signature below. That will give a decent grounding in the basics of the language and the Framework and also give you an idea of what you need to look for to take the next steps. We're always here to help with the stuff that you can't work out for yourself. Remember though, you don't know that you can't do it if you don't try, so always do what you can for yourself first. That includes searching the web for appropriate keywords and ALWAYS reading the appropriate documentation for new types and members. VS has a Help menu for a reason.

Back