Question Building Multiple Projects/Solutions

JoeFX

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello,

I've been looking through the forums for the answer to this one, but can't find anything...

Is it possible to automate the build process of multiple solutions?

For example, say I've got 20 separate Console Applications and I want to build them all and generate 20 new 'EXE' files. Rather than opening each solution one-by-one and clicking the 'Build' button, is there something I can run from the command line which will do the same thing automatically... or is there some in-built functionality in .NET or a 3rd-party tool that will let me do this.

Thanks

You can add multiple projects to one solution. In Express it's File > Add > New/Existing Project. Root node in Solution Explorer will then be the solution, not the project. When the solution node is selected the Project menu have options to set startup project, project build order and project dependencies. These options are also available on context menu of Solution Explorer.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that option.

I've also just found MSBuild.exe in the .NET Framework folder. I can run that and pass the path to the ".sln" file as a parameter... that seems to build the exe.

Back