Question chat room

Programming Experience
1-3
So i have thought about making a chat but never really knew how. The problem was the most advanced thing, networking. I have found really much tutorials but no one was never that i really wanted. I don't want Tcp/ip chatroom or peer-to-peer. I want to make one big chat that everyone can just launch the program and start chatting. I do not doe want my own server running because i know it's a pain in the *** to run that thing 24/7. My recent idea was a mysql chat, i knew this would be extremely unefficent but it's the closet thing i have come to my idea. My idea was, clear the listbox, get the contents of a mysql table ( the chat ) every 1 second. Then when the database is near to lose all its space, clear the chat table and restart. When the user have input and clicks the send button it will work like a register function. I know everyone will start saying, this is a very bad idea. Well i don't really care, the only thing i want is a pretty much simple functional chat around the globe.
If anyone got any links/code samples/suggestions i would really appreciate it.

All you're talking about is database operations. The fact that it's for a chat application is pretty much irrelevant. You're talking about saving data to a database and retrieving data from a database, that's all. There is a ton of information on that around the web. Find it. Use it. Post back when you encounter a specific issue.

Back