cheap or free obfusation?

liptonIcedTea

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

I have designed a Licensing component for my ASP.NET application. We plan to deploy this application on our client's servers and this has the disadvantage that they will have access to it.

I've been trying to find a free obfuscator, maybe like some sort of open source solution. It doesn't have to do much, but there is a const variable within my Licensing DLL that is the private key for the entire licensing process and all I need is something that will hide or encrypt it. No evaluation versions I've played with has string encryption included.

The obfusating doesn't have to be too fancy. I understand that if someone wants to crack it, it's going to get cracked. I just don't want the average person to open up Reflector and see it.

I'd be very tempted to not have that private field key hardcoded into the .dll. Can't you just place it somewhere obscure in the registry, or better still create a file to store it in and mark it with Microsofts 'S' attribute. S for secret not for System as most people think.

Back