Question Checking in/out code on two different PCs

tim8w

Programming Experience
5-10
Is there a way to check in/out code in two locations and keep the code base the same in both locations?

Thanks,
Tim

The poor man's option would be to store your source code under your OneDrive folder or the like and have the files synced that way. A better option is to use a source control provider. You can set up your own or you can use a cloud-based solution. I'm not sure about Community but VS Pro has Azure DevOps built in, which is Microsoft's cloud-based version of Team Foundation Server backed by Git.

Note that Azure DevOps can be used by the largest teams but the basic functionality is still fine for a single developer to use. I use it to keep my home desktop and synced with my Surface Pro, which I use when commuting.

We use Team Foundation Server. Is there a way to do it using that? We are still using Visual Studio Pro 2012

Is there a way to do it using that?
Of course. If you are using TFS then I would think that you are already keeping multiple machines in sync. You just need to specify TFS as the source control provider in VS and then pull the project files from the repository.

We are doing that, but as far as I know, there is no way on the 2nd machine to get the same files I have checked out and modified on the first machine over to the the 2nd machine so that they will be in sync. If there was some way to sync the two machines without checking back in the code...

Firstly, it would be magic for some other machine to be able to see the changes on the first machine without the first machine sending those changes somewhere over the network. I've already given you an option to sync multiple machines without using source control, i.e. OneDrive. The problem with using that AND source control is that you then end up with changes made to the same source code on two machines and if you push those changes to the server on one and then pull on the other then you may end up confusing TFS. That's especially true if you lock files from one machine and then work on those locked files on the other. I'm not 100% sure that you wouldn't run into issues. If that's what you want to do though, give it a try and see what happens. Be prepared for some potential issues though.

Back