Client / Server model advice

Spek

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

Recently I made a client/server program. 1 VB.NET Asp webserver that makes contact with a database provides a list of (data)functions for its clients. The database will be accessed by normal client Windows programs running on a LAN, as well as internet browsers (mobile devices).

Now I was wondering, what if there will be lots of clients (30+)? First of all, I thought I red somewhere that a Webserver can only serve a limited amount of clients, depending on the OS... could be wrong though.

More important, how about the performance / threading? If clientA asks a big chunk of data, then what happens with clientB? Does he have to wait until clientA is finished, or is Multithreading built-in a VB.Net webserver by default?

I basically have two options. Let each client connect directly with a database and create 1 webserver for special cases(internet browsers, PDA's). Or let all clients connect with 1 webserver, and let the server do all the database communication. SOAP will slow down things already a little bit, but maybe its better for database performane to interact with just 1 program instead of 10 or even more.

Regards

Back