CLR Profiler

JohnH

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
For the first time a few days ago I found the need to know more about the memory usage of an application I wrote. I was curious about one recursive object tree in particular, but would had been satisfied in knowing more exactly how much memory the app was actually using in different modes, if that information was more available. Having never touched any memory profiling tools I did a quick web search, and knew there was one from Microsoft. Out of pure luck I found Microsoft released this free tool called CLR Profiler for .Net 4 only two days earlier, how convenient! :)

The download link is here Download details: CLR Profiler for .NET Framework 4
and this article (while old and containing 'retired content') offered me some starting help: How To: Use CLR Profiler

I'm sure my first profiling was very amateurish, but it still proved very helpful. I found out a lot more about memory usage for the app than I did initially. It also encouraged me to find several optimizations that I didn't think of when writing the app, or didn't think would have that much impact, and the memory footprint of the app was significantly reduced. So if you are curious about these matters as well, don't hesitate, download this tool and give it a try.

The tool is also available for the older frameworks 1.1 and 2.0 by the way.

Back