Question Compile to Mac

atiko

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi! I'm Francisco from Argentina... I'm using Windows XP SP3, and Visual Basic 2005... I'm making a SW, and I want to work in Windows and in Mac.... so... 2 questions...
1)If I compile for Windows, will my programme work in XP, Vista and Seven?
2)Is there any way to compile for Mac OS users?
Thanks ^^

1.) I have .Net 2.0 apps (I use VS 2008 though) that work on Win98SE all the way up to Win7 x64, so no worries there.

2.) There is the Mono framework, it's not very good and you have to develop the app on Mac or Linux (the IDE is no where near as good as VS either). Ideally you wouldn't be using .Net for cross-platform development, you'd use Java or c/c++

I've never used Mono but, from what I've read, JB is being a bit harsh. Many .NET apps can work under Mono without change and it reproduces are large chunk of .NET Framework functionality and most of the common stuff is there.

Did they get Mono to the point where it can run an app compiled in VS on windows?

It couldn't last I checked, but if you compiled the app on Linux it'd work fine. The exe & dll's would work fine on windows (with .Net installed).

they have mono for windows, and dev can be done for mono in windows

I haven't wrote a lot of code for mono yet, just some simple playing around with it. As long as you avoid the complex stuff (think WPF, XNA, etc) it runs pretty nicely.

There is a lot of open-source software that I use daily that are built on mono. One of my fav is Tomboy (i discovered it in ubuntu, then found out it was mono, and immediately got it for windows).

I would recommend Nevron Open Vision. So far is the best controls library I've evaluated. Allows you to develop applications on Windows and the you simply recompile them for Mac.

Hope this helps!
Cheers!

Mich

Back