Question Confuse with VB.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

binold

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

I have been programming in Java, VB and Powerbuilder for like years. Now as an instructor I am teaching the VB.Net language and someone asked me if I can join their company and we will be using VB.Net. Yes I am confident that I can program using VB.net but the problem is I am really confused if what is VB.Net and where can I used VB.Net, what is the difference with VB6? and also I am more of a programmer for Client/Server applications not more of a web developer.

Can you help me with my dilemma?

Thanks

why it says my post has been moved? Where did it go?

I moved it to the 'Programmer Chat' forum, which is what this thread is about.

If you're seriously considering the job, you've probably got a lot of the required skills already, I'm assuming this because you says that you're teaching vb.net so you should be pretty familiar with the language, the tools, methodologies, etc. If you're worried about making web app, you should be able to take an intro class/course (or 2) somewhere in your area which would start to "fill in the blanks" about how to do things in a web environment (you already know the language).

Hi thanks for the reply.

Oh btw if you are saying web app, I already know how to use ASP.Net and PHP because I studied ASP way back in college and ASP.Net on my masteral degree. But the problem is I really do not know how to differentiate VB and VB.Net?

Is VB the same with VB.Net removing the .Net framework/classes and console programming? It seems no one is actually directly answering this question.

For me VB is actually creating Client/Server apps and ASP for web development using VB concepts techniques, and language.

So what is VB.NET?? sorry... I am really confused...

VB.Net is the newest VB language and runs on the .Net framework.

It's not the same as VB6, because you can't simply open VB6 apps in Vb.net and continue coding (like you could in VB5 to VB6 and like you can from VB 2005 to VB 2008) you literally have to import the project, running it through a horrible upgrade conversion wizard.

The constructs used in vb6 and vb.net are different. The way the forms are created, maintained and destroyed are completely different from vb6. Vb.net has a whole new environment from vb6.

You can use vb.net to create winform apps, wpf apps, console apps, asp.net apps all of these are in the same framework using the same clr (vb6 doesn't even have a clr)
Is VB the same with VB.Net removing the .Net framework/classes and console programming? It seems no one is actually directly answering this question.
No, they share a similar syntax but the rest is different

I quite understand that VB.NET has a different framework with VB6 and it has CLR. So where do we actually use VB.NET??

Some of my programmer colleagues says VB6 is for Client/Server apps and VB.NET is for web apps? Is this correct?

for me the web apps is part is actually ASP. Then why do we want to use VB.NET?

I quite understand that VB.NET has a different framework with VB6 and it has CLR. So where do we actually use VB.NET??

Some of my programmer colleagues says VB6 is for Client/Server apps and VB.NET is for web apps? Is this correct?

for me the web apps is part is actually ASP. Then why do we want to use VB.NET?

VB.Net can do everything that vb6 can and more. You can make Client/Server apps in VB.Net (it's actually easier to do than in vb6) you can also make console apps in vb.net, you can make asp.net apps in vb.net.

VB.Net is the vb6 replacement, everything you used to write a vb6 program for (including vb6 asp) you can write a vb.net app for too.

"for me the web apps is part is actually ASP. Then why do we want to use VB.NET?" You want to use it because vb6 is already deprecated in Microsoft's eyes, vb.net is the replacement.

Vb.net is also newer (by quite a number of years) and supports the latest security (as a language) that vb6 will never get (and because of vb6's poor construct, would never be able to handle)

I do have 1 question and I hope you don't take offense: if you're a vb.net teacher, how is it that you don't know very much about the language you're teaching?

I do have 1 question and I hope you don't take offense: if you're a vb.net teacher, how is it that you don't know very much about the language you're teaching?

No problem with the question. Actually if you are a teacher, you don't actually go very deep with the language, like the things that I am asking right now. You just teach the students the logic and coding structures, connecting to database using the new ADO.NET(which is quite similar and quite different with the old ADO) to the students, because I cannot actually teach them everything about the .NET framework in 6 months.

All of my exercises and quizzes are almost the same with the other programming languages that I am teaching which is Java, PHP and VB.NET. And as a programmer before, I do have the (generic programming logic) that I can use whatever programming language that you want me to code with whether it will be PHP, C, C++, JAVA, Powerbuilder, VB, VB.NET and a lot more.

THE QUESTION IS "What's with VB.NET? I can actually do almost everything I want with VB6, ADO and ASP. So why do I have to use VB.NET, ASP.NET and ADO.NET? "

that you don't know very much about the language you're teaching?

You are actually telling me that I don't know very much about the language.
I do not actually consider VB.NET as a language. The language of VB.NET is the same the language of what VB6 is using, which is almost identical on the language of powerbuilder which is BASIC. I have been programming in vb6 and powerbuilder for like 6 years now so I basically disagree with you saying that "I do not know very much with the language that I am teaching". Maybe the right question is "Why I do not know very much with concept of the framework(which is .NET) that I am teaching", maybe this is a better question. The question that you cannot actually answer directly - no offense.
Honestly, I am really new with the .NET framework but not into programming. I am new to the .NET Framework that is why I am here on this forum and asking questions.

THE QUESTION IS "What's with VB.NET? I can actually do almost everything I want with VB6, ADO and ASP. So why do I have to use VB.NET, ASP.NET and ADO.NET? "
You don't have to, unless you take the job, they want a .Net programmer so you'd have to use vb.net for them.
You are actually telling me that I don't know very much about the language.
In short, yes
I do not actually consider VB.NET as a language.
There's the problem, I think we've found the biggest difference between us. It's probably where most of your confusion is coming from too.
The language of VB.NET is the same the language of what VB6 is using, which is almost identical on the language of powerbuilder which is BASIC.
There's things built into the vb.net language that's not present in vb6, so yes vb.net is it's own language. Just like there's things built into vb6 that's not there in QBasic.
I have been programming in vb6 and powerbuilder for like 6 years now so I basically disagree with you saying that "I do not know very much with the language that I am teaching". Maybe the right question is "Why I do not know very much with concept of the framework(which is .NET) that I am teaching", maybe this is a better question. The question that you cannot actually answer directly - no offense.
http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/showpost.php?p=83327&postcount=20
Honestly, I am really new with the .NET framework but not into programming. I am new to the .NET Framework that is why I am here on this forum and asking questions.
Questions are always welcome, I'm glad we're able to discuss this.

And lastly, I'm not offended by any of this, I'm glad that you're not either.

binold, "VB is VB" if you catch my drift, it is a concept that is no different today than it was originally with first Visual Basic version, but there are worlds (and decades) between the languages and the Studios used for development, not counting the rather large class library which is a mandatory study of itself. If you think this is a vague description of differences then so be it, anyway you really sound like you could benefit of learning more of the "new" programming languages and development tools of today, so take my word for it you will not regret upgrading your skills and knowledge into .Net. This can also be used with not much transition to C# or even managed C++. Take time to learn the language and you will soon realize how much really is changed in programming in 10 years.

About person attack, that is absolutely not what this forum site is about! This is VB.Net Forums, and all topics and post must be VB.Net related. Your last post was simply ridiculous and was deleted, there is obviously more than VB/ASP/.Net you don't know much about. You should for future really consider your wording and attitude towards public and open forums like this.

binold, there's lots of programs in the field today that were made with vb.net, heck the MS team used vb.net to make the vb.net IDE which is a pretty large/complex program for vb.net not being a programming language.

I agree with JohnH here, and add: this case is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back