Question Control to handle video streaming

rcombs4

Programming Experience
3-5
Hey guys, I'm looking for a control that will preferably steam any type of video.

I have a requirement to allow a user to upload a video and allow it to be streamed. So could really be any type. I've found a component that will convert the most common video files to .flv so if you know of a good .flv control I can do that as well.

I have found a couple of .flv controls but the ones I found either were ridiculously expensive, didn't work in Chrome, or didn't have any type of preview. I need to have YouTube like video preview so its not just a black box before the video is played.

I'd prefer a control to steam any type of video but from research it seems .flv is the most common now-a-days(apparently I'm out of touch with webcam/videos). I don't want to just use the .wmv and quicktime controls because I think they are ugly and out of date.

Any help you can give me is much appreciated.

I've found a good bit of very useful information out there. Took a LONG time of digging to find WORKING free versions. I ended up decided that the converting all videos to .FLV was the best way to go. So...

I found a FREE C# wrapper of FFMpeg.Exe. FFMpeg is an amazing command line based tool that does all sort of video functions. The two functions I needed were the converting to .FLV but I also needed to be able to grab a single frame out of a video and save it as a .JPG for preview frame. I'm not even sure how in depth the wrapper goes into FFMpeg but it does exactly what I need it to do.

FFMpeg.exe Site - FFmpeg
Free C# Wrapper - nolovelust's Blog

Then I found a free embeddable .FLV player.
FLV Player - FLV Player

I know none of that is directly VB.NET related but taking that wrapper can be very useful.

Back