DMS (Document Management System)

StoneCodeMonkey

Programming Experience
5-10
Hello all,

I'm thinking of developing a simple DMS appliaction and wanted to throw out a few ideas.

The back end will be an Oracle database. I've already tested reading and writing blobs to Oracle which is pretty easy using ODP.Net.

I would like the application to be web based to I am thinking an ASP.Net app would work.

The documents I will be storing are actually programs that run in industrial equipment like PLC's and HMI's. Basically, this will be where I keep my backups. Revision control is also a goal.

I will have 2 user types, Author and Guest. An "Author" can create new documents, delete, and update. While a "Guest" will only be able to download a copy as needed.

I'm thinking a simple UI that has a treewiew for categorizing the documents. There are many examples of how to populate a treeview from a database so this seems pretty straight forward. The only other major UI element would be a listview to show all of the documents in the database. Of course clicking on a node in the treeview would update the listview via the "Where" clause in the SQL Select statement.

I't would seem a simple DMS could be created with just those two tables. One to define the Treeview and the Documents table that would use the UID of the treenode to define the category of the attached blob. Of course there would be meta data for the blob file type and other data such as file name.

It would also seem that ASP.Net makes it fairly simple for me to set up the two types of users that I need.

There might need to be one more table to keep the parent child relation between document versions, not sure at this point.

Is it naive to think it would be this simple? Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

When I think how long Git or Mercurial have been in development, I'mm reminded that document management is anything but simple.. ;)

Back