Does ASP.NET SessionState really work in server-farms

SharmaBhavan

Programming Experience
Beginner
Does anybody have any thoughts on whether ASP.NET SessionState really work in server-farm environments. I know that Microsoft provides a couple of ways to let you use them in server-farms but I haven’t done that myself and wanted to see what experiences other might have.

One of the ways Microsoft lets you use SessionState in server-farms is through SQL Server which I personally don’t like because of potential performance issues. The second approach relies on having one server keep the master copy of all sessions and let other servers in the farm access it. I think this might be a performance bottleneck and also a single point of failure.

I’ve seen at least one product called NCache from Alachisoft (http://www.alachisoft.com) that claims to have a truly clustered ASP.NET SessionState for server-farms but I’m sure there are others as well. Does anybody know?

ASP.NET Session state does not work in server-farms

Unfortunately, ASP.NET session state does not work in server farms. Microsoft provides you an option for SessionState management in server-farms in the form of SQLSERVER but this leads you to single point of failure. NCache form www.alachisoft.com is one such product that transparently save and retrieve ASP.NET session-state objects within a webfarm. We have used this product in our Enterprize applications and got impressive results from the product.

Back