Eye-Strain Relief tips?

22-degrees

Programming Experience
1-3
Longer hours in front of the screen these days have forced me to address the impact it is having on my eyes and brain.

I have invested in a pair of melanin coated glasses which do help a little but I was wondering was there anything else I could be doing to make the screen-glare issue less of a factor.

Since the beginning of time, I have used colored text on white background in the coding environment, but I am curious to know if anyone here has had enough screen-time with both white background and non-white background to be able to lend some input on whether this makes any difference on the strain your eyes experience during long / late-night sessions?

I have a generic LCD monitor if it makes any difference.

I find LCD's @ 75 Hz to give me no eyestrain at all, at least nothing comparable to a CRT. At 60Hz I can see flicker that is annoying though. At work we do have anti-glare filters on all the screens, like these, but I find they darken the whites too much for my taste. As for "negative" schemes, the text becomes much too blurry, especially if you are a programmer. If the white is too much, try a light grey instead. If you have a proper lens prescription (or no vision problem...) it should not fatigue your eyes that much. And if they do, just get more sleep. ;)

My monitor was not happy with 75Hz :) Started fuzzing out on me.. Wiring issue I think.. I have been trying a greyer shade of white text on a greyer shade of black background and my eyes so far don't seem to mind.. I'll continue to use it for a month or so and then switch back to black on white to see if I find it a relief or a shock..

Headaches have stopped for now at least so hopefully they stay away..

I always use the 20/20 rule. Every 20 minutes, look at least 20 feet away. Gives your eyes a chance to do something other than stare at the screen and focus at a different distance. I know it's a little lame and I don't remember where I heard of it, but if I'm not careful, I can sit and code for hours at a time. Also, if you have a back injury, it's a good idea to stand up during your eye-resting time. ;)

Back