Question First time creating a remote app. (Sending keystrokes from game controller app)

PMac

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm not very advanced in .NET, but it's the one language I have any experience in (I used to program a bit in qBasic as a kid:laugh:)

What I'm trying to do is build an app that will work as a game controller that will run on my Windows 10 tablet (Non-RT), or basically any other computer/notebook running Windows.

I'm fine with building the GUI, and fairly confident I can get the buttons to send keystrokes, but where I'm lost is how to get this app to send those keystrokes to the remote machine running the game I'd like to control.

I'm assuming the best way to do this would be with a client server app setup, have the server running on the machine the game is on, and the client running on my tablet.

So my question is, what's the best way for me to send a keystroke from an app on one computer (activated by pressing a button), to the currently open window on another computer?

I've exhausted all the answers and question combinations I could type in to google, and figured someone here should be able to help me figure it out!

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

You wouldn't be sending a keystroke. You would most like send a single Char or zero or more characters in a String. The server would then convert that to the appropriate keystrokes and, presumably, call SendKeys.Send. I suppose you could actually create the argument for SendKeys.Send on your client and pass that to the server, which would then just pass it directly to a Send call.

Since this is my first time building a remote app, would something like this be a good start? (I've never made a client/server app before). I know this example i linked is for C#, but i was thinking it may also be usable within VB.NET

Or am I going about this wrong? Sorry for all the "stupid" questions, but I'm very new to this, and was unable to find anything specific to my needs on Google.

I'll be extremely grateful to anyone that can give me the right "push" to get me going :)

Back