Google Drive as update location

nkotbox

Programming Experience
Beginner
Has anyone tried using google drive as an update location for their apps?

I have been trying to get this to work but my apps fail to start when they are configured to look for an update that I have shared on google drive. I upload the folder and share it, then set the folder up just like the published folder but for some reason it fails. When I set up the same thing on a network folder, the app updates as it should. Any suggestions?

I have been experimenting with this idea, but unsuccessfully. I have tried linking to the folder where the files exist, as you would if it were a network share, but this is not working.
Should I try linking to manifest?

I think it fails because if you go to the folder I shared, then you have to download the files to open them. This may be where the program fails to read the files, and fails to update

Last edited:
Should I try linking to manifest?
No, you have to specify the folder url, using the format shown in my previous post. Also remember to specify protocol, eg http://
While I haven't used GD for deployment, I have tested that it work as a "folder location", and appending a given filename to that in browser shows the file contents directly, so my conclusion is that if you do this correctly ClickOnce should have no problems aquiring the files it needs.
I think it fails because if you go to the folder I shared, then you have to download the files to open them. This may be where the program fails to read the files, and fails to update
No, updater doesn't "go to" that folder, it appends the filename it requires and downloads that file.

No, you have to specify the folder url

This is what I did. I went to my drive, clicked on the folder where the updates exist and clicked the share button. I then shared the folder and attained the link to it. Maybe Im doing this wrong but it seems that it should be correct.
sharing.png

Last edited:
This is what I did. I went to my drive, clicked on the folder where the updates exist and clicked the share button. I then shared the folder and attained the link to it. Maybe Im doing this wrong but it seems that it should be correct.
Did you even read post 2 and the link I posted? The url must be in that form.

Back