Question Help with Dotfuscator error

J. Scott Elblein

Programming Experience
10+
When I click "Build Project" in Dotfuscator, I get this error:

VB.NET:
Loading Assemblies...
Could not find a compatible version of ildasm to run on assembly C:\Projects\TestProject\bin\Release\TestProject.exe.  This assembly was originally built with .NET Framework v2.0.50727.
Build Error

I have added these paths to my computers Environment Variable's Path variable and rebooted, and still get the error.

(This is the full string in my path variable)
VB.NET:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel;
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\AGL;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0;C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

I thought that just putting the path to the framework would do the trick but I guess it didn't. Can anyone tell me how to remedy this?

TIA

Thanks again John. I am running VS 2008 Team System. Where can I find ildasm.exe? I can't seem to find it. I'm grabbing the .NET SDK in the meantime.

I found one somewhere under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs, you can try searching the drive. So it's not in your VS Command Prompt paths?

That's why I ended up asking if you knew ahead of time if it might of been somewhere on the drive with the full version if VS, I did a search of the computer and nothing showed up. I was just hoping to avoid the 2+ GB's of space the SDK uses just for the one ildasm.exe, lol.

I installed it though, so it is there, thanks :)

From the .Net SDK page:
Visual Studio 2005 Users: If you have already installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (except the Express Editions), you do not need to install the .NET Framework SDK separately. Visual Studio 2005 includes the SDK as one of the optional components to install during Visual Studio 2005 setup.

Hmmmmm, I wonder if I deselected that during the 2008 install, and that's why. I don't remember now.

This is the first time I've used Dotfuscator, do you have any experience with it? My app runs fine before obfuscation, but afterwards, I get an unhandled exception referring to the My.Settings object's Theme property saying it wasn't found. Any idea why this might be?

I'm thinking it *might* have something to do with dotfuscator renaming the object and it's not being decrypted correctly or something, but I'm not sure, and if that were the case, I don't really see how to rectify that in Dotfuscator?

I am getting the same error. But i was not to able resolve it.
Softwares installed : Visual Studio 2008, .Net framework 3.5

and the ildasm.exe file exists under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin" folder.

Can any one help me how to resolve the above issue

Back