How to get vb.net 2003 to use iis

guyzer1954

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi! I've installed IIS on xp home. It seems to be running. Now I need to create a web application using vb.net 2003. When I start a new web app I give it the name "http://localhost/WebApplication1" but I get an error. It seems to be using a differrent web server. How do I tell the program to use IIS?
Thanks

RESOLVED:
I got it to work. I re-installed vb.net 2003, then went to command prompt and ran aspnet_regiis /i

Thanks

Last edited:
Here are some tips maybe helpful, if not save yourself a lot of trouble and get the free-for-now MS Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, it already feature a local webserver for debugging. I also guess XP Pro or win2000-3 would be less troublesome.

IIS on XP Home is a difficult hack, if I have understood the different forum messages I have read, especially internet user account IUSR problems. I probably shouldn't ask if it's even legal, so I won't ;)

Have you verified that the webserver is actually up and running?
- Check with C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\iis.msc management console, there must be a Default site (or so) running, if not create one.
- Also check home directory is set up properly.
- In the Documents tab see what document names are valid for default, for instance "Default.htm". Create a simple such htm file and put it in the home directory. Navigate to http://localhost in your browser to see if document is displaying.
- For computer Master properties, at ISAPI page .Net framework should list if it was installed to IIS, if not you must run "aspnet_regiis.exe /i" for your version .Net - could be C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe. There should now be an ASP.Net tab in site properties too. This is my wild guess if you installed iis after you installed .Net! At least if localhost otherwise is up.
- Further I have also seen that one may have go to the application directory properties from site tree and actually enable the application, optionally naming it (application name - create).
- perhaps only to run a webserver publicly available on the internet, but I think you also have to go into Explorer and enable Network share for the website directory.

Back