Question How to use silverlight

anantxpert

Programming Experience
1-3
I am new to silverlight, so i don't know the use of silverlight in vb.net.

please help me by basic sample.

Judging by the fact that your profile says .NET 3.5, I'm guessing that you're using VB 2008. If you haven't paid for a full edition of VS then you'll need to use Visual Web Developer Express rather than VB Express because Silverlight is considered a web technology. You can install the development tools for Silverlight 3 into Visual Web Developer 2008.

Download Silverlight 3 Tools from Official Microsoft Download Center

If you want to develop for Silverlight 4 then you'll need Visual Web Developer 2010 and the appropriate developer tools.

Download Silverlight 4 Tools from Official Microsoft Download Center

Note that Visual Web Developer 2010 includes support for Silverlight 3 by default. Unless you have a specific reason not to, I'd suggest going for the latest and getting VS 2012. VS 2012 Express for Web is free and supports Silverlight 4 and 5 by default.

Here's a Silverlight tutorial:

Silverlight 2 End to End Tutorial: Building a Search Client - ScottGu's Blog

It was written for Silverlight 2 and C# but all the Silverlight stuff should still work in later versions and most of the code will be XAML, which doesn't change whether you're using VB or C#. The C# code sections should be fairly small and simple to convert to VB and you can always ask here if you have issues.

Back