Install VS 2008 or VS 2010 RC

pettrer

Programming Experience
10+
Hi,

(I asked a question similar to this one at forums.asp.net, but I post it here as I also do winforms - VB.NET - development and there might be different issues involved here...)

I have just reinstalled everything on my computer, that is, evereything exept for Visual Studio plus Sql Server . I am curious - should I go for the 2010 RC or should I install the old 2008 editions? The reason why I ask is because I think installing these products take a LONG time and I don't want to clutter my harddrive with the wrong edition, now that the 2010 version is around the corner.

I am thinking of taking the WebsiteSpark deal, which looks really great! http://www.microsoft.com/WEB/websitespark/ But the question remains, should I download and install now (I'd prefer to start working now) or should I wait until April 12 to get the official VS0210 version? And if I start working now, should I go for the 2008 or the 2010RC version? Will I have to reinstall everything if I go for the 2010RC version?

I must say I'm a bit confused. :)

Thanks in advance,

Pettrer

I would not recommend installing VS 2010 RC at this point. The RC is not upgradable so, when the RTM becomes available, you'd have to uninstall RC before installing the RTM. If you install VS 2008 now you can then install VS 2010 RTM later without the two interfering with each other. You can then keep VS 2008 installed in case you need to share projects with others who use it, or you can remove it, in part or in full, at your leisure.

If you have a virtual machine available then you might consider installing VS 2010 RC on that. That way you can simply copy your projects across when the RTM becomes available and blow the VM away.

Back