Question Is college worth it..?

BlackByte

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi im am a college student who's been programming for 2 (self taught) years, i have found that most of the time, i am far ahead of what is being currently learned at college. I know that i need the qualification in order to get a job, but the time i spend doing homework and assignments is starting to eat away on my programming time, as a result, im doing less programming then i used to. Do you think the college qualification is worth it.

I do, I'm *still* in the same situation and once I get my bachelor's degree, I'll be able to move up the career ladder.

Mind you I already have two student jobs in the field already, I'm just hitting a glass ceiling cause I don't have the degree.

Okay, i guess you right, a person can have all the experience and skills in programming, but without the qualification, he's bound to go nowhere. Ill just have to learn to manage my time beter, in order to be efficient.

Okay, i guess you right, a person can have all the experience and skills in programming, but without the qualification, he's bound to go nowhere. Ill just have to learn to manage my time beter, in order to be efficient.
That's what I had to do 5 years ago, and I'm still needing to learn how to manage things better.

BlackByte,

Simply put, college is worth it. College teaches you more than how to program, or write an essay, or to solve a mathematical problem. College teaches you how to be a critical thinker, how to deal with people, and how to manage your time. I got my undergrad degree 22 years after I finished high school -- yes, 22 years. I was one one of those people who did not initially see the value of college. I learned some technical skills on my own, spent a couple of years in college and decided I wanted to work and make money.

It worked, however I found that the lack of a degree stood in the way of me getting selected for advancement. More importantly I found that those with college degrees, for the most part, were better "thinkers" than I was. Not that I couldn't solve logic problems or write tight code (I was working in micro-controllers designing hardware and software), but others grasped the bigger perspective faster than I did. I went back, finished my undergrad with a double major in Software and Electrical Engineering then went on to get an MBA.

Not bad for someone who professes to be a "Academic Agnostic!"

-Bill

P.S. I gave this same speech to my son who is now a freshman at the University of Texas, and to my two daughters, one a senior and the other a freshman in High School. Besides family, faith and your health, education should be the next most important thing in life!

P.P.S. Bill Gates is the exception, not the rule!

Back