Is the .NET 4.0 platform to be separately installed?

yudha

Programming Experience
3-5
Is the .NET 4.0 platform to be separately installed, or does it come with the VC#/VB express 2010 installation? Also, what do I need for ASP.NET? I want to see the "New website" option under "File". What do I need to have for that?

.Net 4.0 (like all the other .Net FW's) is always installed separately. However, like all other versions of VS.Net, the required FW's are included in the installation because VS.Net uses .Net itself too.

ASP.Net is all included in the FW's all you need to host ASP.Net site's is the .Net FW the site targets & of course IIS (the newer version of IIS the better)

Thank you for the reply! What is the difference between VS.NET and .NET 4.0? Do you mean VC#/VB/VC++ (the entire suite) when you say VS.NET? So if I install VC#/VB express 2010, does that mean I get .NET 4.0 automatically on my computer?

"all you need to host ASP.Net site's is the .Net FW the site targets & of course IIS (the newer version of IIS the better) "
Can you explain this more? I am new to this. How do I create the site?

I have been trying to run an example for ASP.NET. I expect to see "New Website" under File of VS.NET. I installed .NET 4.0 hoping to open it, but it does not appear explicitly in "All programs" in Vista. All I see is VC# 2010.

Microsoft® Visual Web Developer® 2010 Express: Microsoft Web Platform - Start building better Web sites

Thank you! I remember I had run the installer before but I could not see the web developer in "All programs". I ran it again now. I got the option of installing the 2010 web developer SP1. I chose that option hoping that having SP1 would enable the possibly present but dormant installation of the web developer on my machine to work. The installer has been running for a long time now and I see the message "Finished downloading" and
"Install Progress: Installing Visual Studio 2010 SP1 KB983509 [1 out of 14]" but nothing beyond that. Does it take a very long time (1 hour or so) for this installation to complete?

When you install Visual Studio, you get all the components in one IDE, i.e. VB, C#, Visual Web Developer, etc. When you install the Express editions, each one has a stand-alone IDE. For creating Windows applications you use VB Express or C# Express. For creating web applications you use Visual Web Developer Express. VWD Express supports VB and C# as code-behind languages.

Installing SP1 is only going to update the components that you have already installed. If you haven't installed VWD Express then it's not going to appear after installing SP1. Use the link JohnH provided to install VWD Express using the WebPI or else go to the VS Express download page to get an ISO image containing all VS Express installers. Any installers that you download now should already be updated to SP1 I would think.

Thank you! I could manage to install web developer express from Essential Downloads: The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site.
I have another question.
On page 392 of Programming C# by Jesse Liberty, what does one do to get Figure 17.7? I dragged the radiobuttonlist into Source, and clicked on the new control's smart tag in the design pane as instructed in the book, but nothing happened. How do I get to access the data source? If this is not the right place to post this question, I would appreciate if you
could let me know where I should post it. Thank you!

This is VB.Net forums, for C# help you should seek a C# forum. Also, bear in mind it is globally accepted in forums that you start a new thread for a new topic.

Thank you! I could manage to install web developer express from Essential Downloads: The Official Microsoft ASP.NET Site.
I have another question.
On page 392 of Programming C# by Jesse Liberty, what does one do to get Figure 17.7? I dragged the radiobuttonlist into Source, and clicked on the new control's smart tag in the design pane as instructed in the book, but nothing happened. How do I get to access the data source? If this is not the right place to post this question, I would appreciate if you
could let me know where I should post it. Thank you!

I apologize. I will take it to another forum.

The .NET Framework 4.0 does not automatically install its version of the simple language at run time to run applications that need to built with earlier versions of the .NET Framework. To run older applications with .NET Framework 4, you must compile your application with the target .NET Framework version specified in the properties for your project in Visual Studio,
That is not relevant to the question asked here. It is also not correct information, CLR 4 normally runs assemblies compiled for all previous .Net versions.

Back