Question Issue with sending Swedish characters in Oracle

rit_netsys

Programming Experience
5-10
Hello,

I am using a Web Application to send data to Oracle 12C Databse reading from Excel file. Everything was working very fine until users try to upload excel with Swedish Characters like "Å,å,Ä,ä,Ö,ö". Application is reading Swedish Characters from Excel and storing on variables perfectly. But while checking Oracle side, I found, it is actually storing data with strange ASCII characters
attachment.php
. I tried to show this value on a Gridview and it is showing Swedish characters perfectly. Also I tried to write the string value to Text file with StreamWriter and its also working perfectly with Swedish. Oracle NLS Characterset set to "AL32UTF8". I tried following things but nothing worked -

1. Changed application Culture to "sv-SE"
2. Added "IMEX=1" to Excel Extended properties.
3. Tried to add Excel Extended Properties character set to UTF8, Unicode, ISO-8859-1 etc.
4. Tried to convert variable String to UTF8, Unicode, ISO-8859-1
5. Tried to add Invariant Cultureinfo like this - Dim name As String = pr.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture)
6. Tried to add charactersets to web.config connection String.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

I tried to show this value on a Gridview and it is showing Swedish characters perfectly.
Is this the value you get from Excel or from Oracle after storing it? Just wondering it is the "checking Oracle side" that has wrong display.

I'm not very familiar with Oracle, but looking up I see for example Oracle Varchar2 supports unicode (utf8) in an unicode database (AL32UTF8), unlike Sql Server where a Nvarchar field would be required, so this should not be the issue.

Back