Question Laptop connecting to PC

stulish

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi all,

I am creating a program to record various data inputs and save onto the internal hard drive, we are locking the pc with permissions so the user can not CTRL/ALT and DEL (it will be a console type app).

We need to be able to connect a laptop to the PC via Ethernet to download the data from the hard drive, what is the best way to do this securely, we will only be opening specific ports as required and it can have a set IP address that the Laptop will be set up to. I have never played with sending data over Ethernet before, is the the best way to go about it and if anyone has any links to noob information on opening a Ethernet socket and authenticating with the other laptop it would be useful for me to read.

Thanks

Stu

So, to recapitulate, you want to write a keylogger that logs to disk and a secret backdoor for select equipment to retrieve the keys logged? Give me a break...

No the pc is locked down and when it boots it boots into the program that records data. To recover the data a laptop will be connected and given access to a partition on the hard drive. The main program runs on a pc with touch screen for the operator to see the current system heath and any reported faults, what I dont want is for the user to be able to plug any laptop in and access the files, the only one that should be able to access the files is the laptop supplied with the system

What i was after was advice as to the best way to connect securely via Ethernet and then and any links to examples people may have, i already have the main program written, but have not played with Ethernet/sockets etc before all the data i connect is via serial data and screen grabs, i tried to explain what i was doing to give some context. it is slightly upsetting that a question is asked and straight away it is thought it is for bad reasons, maybe that is just the world we live in today, but there are a few of us vb.net noobs that would like to learn the best/preferred ways of doing something before starting to implement a solution that may not be very good, i have no doubt i could get something working but it may be a poor way of implementing secure connectivity. If you would like more information on the program i am writing and why it does what it does i can message you.

Back