Question LInq To SQL ( map file question)

duckkiller53

Programming Experience
3-5
Linq to SQL using datacontext and a map file.

Could someone help me with the following question. I have been reading "Linq in Action" by Fabrice Marquerie, in particular Linq to SQL and mapping objects via an xml map file. The question is this, is there a way to use the map files without explicitly using a Namespace ( ie: a prebuilt .dll that is referenced within a project ) for the <Type> attribute to see my object class.

for example: I have a small Lia.mdf data base with an 'Authors' table. The project creates a map file and then uses that map to instantiate a datacontext. What I had hoped to do was just add the objects to my project, ie: an Author.vb class etc, and then have everything work. The problem I experience was that the project class was obviously recognized when instantiating the class etc but the reference via the map file could not be established for the type.

ie: <Table Name="Author" Member="Author">
<Type Name="Author">

The only way I could get this to work ( and from what I read on the net ) was to create a class library project (named 'Sample' with the object, build it and then reference the Sample.dll in my Linq project.

ie: <Table Name="Author" Member="Author">
<Type Name="Sample.Author">

The above works but is there a way to do this and just use normal object classes within your project. I really want to understand this because I feel the power of being able to have normal objects within a project and then use both Linq to SQL and possibly a normal datalayer would be extremely powerful.

Note: The author of "Linq in Action" did it the same way I did. He used SQLMetal to create the map but he compiled a .dll and then referenced it in his project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ( I have referenced the code I used below )

Thanks You

***********Sample**************

Public Sub XmlMapping()
Dim map As XmlMappingSource = _ XmlMappingSource.FromXml(System.IO.File.ReadAllText("AuthorMap.xml"))

Dim dataContext As New DataContext(connString, map)
Dim authors = dataContext.GetTable(Of Sample.Author)()

'Do something with the collection ...

Sub Main()

XmlMapping)
Console.ReadLine()

End Sub

*************Map File******************

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Database Name="Lia" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/linqtosql/mapping/2007">
<Table Name="Author" Member="Author">
<Type Name="Sample.Author">
<Column Name="ID" Member="ID" Storage="_ID" DbType="UniqueIdentifier NOT NULL" IsPrimaryKey="true" UpdateCheck="Never" />
<Column Name="LastName" Member="LastName" Storage="_LastName" DbType="VarChar(50) NOT NULL" CanBeNull="false" UpdateCheck="Never" />
<Column Name="FirstName" Member="FirstName" Storage="_FirstName" DbType="VarChar(30) NOT NULL" CanBeNull="false" UpdateCheck="Never" />
<Column Name="WebSite" Member="WebSite" Storage="_WebSite" DbType="VarChar(200)" UpdateCheck="Never" />
<Column Name="TimeStamp" Member="TimeStamp" Storage="_TimeStamp" DbType="rowversion NOT NULL" CanBeNull="false" IsDbGenerated="true" IsVersion="true" UpdateCheck="Never" AutoSync="Always" />
<Association Name="FK_BookAuthor_Author" Member="BookAuthor" Storage="_BookAuthor" ThisKey="ID" OtherKey="Author" DeleteRule="NO ACTION" />
</Type>
</Table>
</Database>

*************Object Class***************

Public Class Author
Private _Id As Guid
Public Property ID() As System.Guid
Get
Return _Id
End Get
Set(ByVal value As System.Guid)
_Id = value
End Set
End Property

Private _LastName As String
Public Property LastName() As String
Get
Return _LastName
End Get
Set(ByVal value As String)
_LastName = value
End Set
End Property

Private _FirstName As String
Public Property FirstName() As String
Get
Return _FirstName
End Get
_FirstName = value
End Set
End Property

Private _WebSite As String
Public Property WebSite() As String
Get
Return _WebSite
End Get
_WebSite = value
End Set
End Property

Private _TimeStamp As Byte()
Public Property TimeStamp() As Byte()
Get
Return _TimeStamp
End Get
Set(ByVal value As Byte())
_TimeStamp = value
End Set
End Property
End Class

One last thing: This is the error message I would get before I created the .dll namespace

"Mapping Problem: Cannot find type 'Author' from mapping."

All assemblies have a namespace, also your client application. Have a look in project properties, Application tab, there you see what "Root namespace" your project has, for example "WindowsApplication1". So if you add a Author class to your project the namespace qualified name will be WindowsApplication1.Author.
I haven't actually tested this map, but common sense indicates it should be this simple.

Are you sure the namespace is needed? I saw a few examples on web that didn't use namespace for type also.

The Book I'm reading stated that you don't need the namespace, But when I googled the error I found others stating that you need the namespace. That's how I got the idea for the .dll.

Scooby

Well, assembly is assembly and namespace is namespace, one isn't different from another in that perspective. It is possible though that you nested the class when you were experimenting.

Could someone help, I have been testing using linq to sql with map files. So far the only way I have been able to get this to work is to use fully qualify the namespace.object in the <Type> attribute of my map file.

ie:

This does not work!!!!
---------------------
<Table Name="dbo.Categories" Member="Categories">
<Type Name="Categories">

This works
----------
<Table Name="dbo.Categories" Member="Categories">
<Type Name="NorthWindMetal.Categories">

Thanks

Scooby

Back