managing SQL Server Express vs Compact Edition

JaedenRuiner

Programming Experience
10+
Okay,

So I install VB Express 2008 and it installs a version of sql server CE. Then I downloaded and installed SQL Server Express (with Advanced Services). However, I cannot open the sdf file that I created in Sql Server management Studio in VB, nor can i open the the sdf created via VB in sql server management studio.

How do I get these two versions to be the same in both systems?
thanks
Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner

If you mean "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express" subtitled "for managing SQL Server 2005 Express Edition" then this is too old, it only works for older SqlCe editions 3.0-3.1, the one in VB2008 is SqlCe 3.5 and only supported in Management Tools 2008, currently in RC0. The "SQL Server Express" you are using with VB2008 is also the 2005 version, the same used with VB2005.

Is there a way to "just" get the Management Studio Express that will work with the SqlCe 3.5, or do I have to download an install the full Sql Server 2008 RC0 trial in order to gain that functionality?
Thanks
Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner

I don't know which versions contains this, there are two express editions too, but it is not clear if they contain SSMSE. Like SSMSE 2005 is available separately, perhaps 2008 also will later, I can't see it now.

Back