Question messagebox does not work

orionsolutions

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi all,

i am having this problem in vb.net 2010 where i cannot get any messagebox to work. The debugger just passes over it. Neither "msgbox()" nor "messagebox.show()" works.
Anyone had this problem too? It's frustrating since my program doesn't only need messageboxes for debugging, but also for run-time jobs.

Any help would be kind

Thomas

Hmm, make sure you save all your work, and reinstall vb.net. Might be something in the download that ****ed up. Alternatively, you can google the problem, and see if anyone has made/found a solution! :)

MessageBox does not launch

I know it has been a long time since this problem was posted, but I have a similar problem, and I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas.

I am programming a Windows 7 Embedded touchscreen panel as an HMI for an industrial piece of equipment. I have actually shipped several of these HMIs without problems. Recently, however, I had a customer who wanted some custom features: 1) he wanted to send the machine's test data to Dropbox, and 2) he wanted the test reports to be printed to a PDF file.

To accomplish these two things, I installed Dropbox and PDFForge's PDFCreator on the HMI. After Installing these two programs, MessageBox.Show no longer works.

I even created a simple program of a single form with a single button to test it:

VB.NET:
Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim TestString As String = InputBox("Type something here.")
        MessageBox.Show("You typed: " & TestString)

End Sub
End Class

The InputBox launches, but the MessageBox does not.

Any ideas?

I know it has been a long time since this problem was posted, but I have a similar problem, and I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas.

I am programming a Windows 7 Embedded touchscreen panel as an HMI for an industrial piece of equipment. I have actually shipped several of these HMIs without problems. Recently, however, I had a customer who wanted some custom features: 1) he wanted to send the machine's test data to Dropbox, and 2) he wanted the test reports to be printed to a PDF file.

To accomplish these two things, I installed Dropbox and PDFForge's PDFCreator on the HMI. After Installing these two programs, MessageBox.Show no longer works.

I even created a simple program of a single form with a single button to test it:

VB.NET:
Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim TestString As String = InputBox("Type something here.")
        MessageBox.Show("You typed: " & TestString)

End Sub
End Class

The InputBox launches, but the MessageBox does not.

Any ideas?

As a test, do your message boxes start working again if you uninstall those two pieces of software?

As a test, do your message boxes start working again if you uninstall those two pieces of software?

No. In fact, I had already uninstalled both software packages before I created the test program that I posted.

To make things even more interesting, When I run my program (in debug mode) from my Windows 7 laptop, with both Dropbox and PDFCreator installed, message boxes work. It is only on the Windows 7 Embedded touchpanels where the message boxes fail. They fail to work on two touchpanels, so it is not unique to a single panel.

Back