Need help improving my VB.Net programming skills

The Fire Snake

Programming Experience
10+
Hello ! This is my first post in this forum and I hope I learn a lot from it.

A bit about my background. I have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and a Master's degree in Computer Information Systems. I have been working in the IT Industry for about 10 years. I have worked as a Developer for most of those years and have also worked as a Sys admin as well. I have used a whole host of programming languages(in both a Unix and Windows coding environment) over the years and have worked on numerous projects. But most of my programming experience is with procedural programming. A few years ago I did have the opportunity to dabble in Java a bit and wrote a nice program in it. This is when I started to look into OOP and research it a little and I really liked it but the research ended when the project ended. Since that point I haven't been doing any OOP work. About 6 months ago I started to code in VB.Net using Visual Studio 2008. I overall like it very much. I have read OOP books and VB.Net books and have learned quite a bit but I would like to become more proficient in it and get more expertise. So that gives you a little background. So far I have about 6 months experience in VB.Net and I would say about 1 year total experience with OOP in general.

I think the best way would be to code small test programs/assignments. I am looking for any sample assignments that I could try(with code to check against). Does anyone know where I could get any? The kinds of things I am looking to improve upon/learn more about are things like creating more custom classes(composition relationships and inheritance), reflection, implementing interfaces, anonymous types, method overloads, Exception handling, etc. Mainly practicing OOP principles. I am not too interested in LINQ, Windows Forms, WCF, or Interface design etc right now.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Back