New career in IT?

dvp

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am based in the UK. I want to start a new career in software and web development, at the age of 39. I used to code when i was a teenager, in Basic, and started learning machine code. Since then I embarked on a career as an artist, a painter.

I've decided I need a new interest and career. Due to my 'advanced' age, i'm curious to know what you think might be the best route for me, or even if its worth attempting a change in career in IT. Over the last year I've dipped my toes into Visual basic, .Net, Real Basic, Cocoa, web design languages like html, php, javascript, css etc, as well as Coda and Dreamweaver, all to start to give me a grounding in software and web development. The problem is the job market is very competitive, and as i dont possess any IT qualifications I'm thinking about doing an IT Masters degree, as I already hold a degree (though in 3d Design).

I'm interested in the development side of IT, software and web development appeal, perhaps also using my creative skills somehow as well but not sure how? My question is this, what do employers prefer? Should I do a degree, or perhaps get some Microsoft accredited qualifications like a MCPD, or continue to go down the self-taught route, take the odd accredited course and build up this way?

I'm very serious about starting this new career, but I have reservations due to my age and also which course to follow if any? I'm also worried that the IT job market is too competitive and anything i try as far as learning would be futile as job experience still appears to be the single deciding factor to getting an interview let alone a job? I have no reservations about starting from the bottom, salary is not paramount in my mind and i understand experience and knowledge are crucial.

Lacking experience it is sometimes hard and a long search finding that first employer willing to give a new guy a chance. However I have not seen age be a problem with this. I started in the field at 30 and have many friends the same age and older that have done the same. The only classmates (and that was many unfortunatly) that never made it into the field are simply the ones that gave up sending out resumes after a month. If this is your goal, be persistent, stay with it and do extra to prove yourself. Get certifications, make example programs availble to show etc....

Thanks for the advice. I'm wondering if the Masters will help, since i have a degree already? I was thinking of going down the self-taught route, and as you say taking some certifications etc? A lot of the masters i've seen seem way too generalised. I'm also thinking about how i can use my creative background to my advantage, but dont know how just yet! Cheers for the advice Tom.

I dont think a Masters is necessary, you already have a degree. You just need some form of proof legitimizing your programming skills. Whether thats a few certs or some computer classes etc

I think so, and it will be a far far cheaper option too!

I think the most important thing to do is have a focus, map out what i need to learn in a certain amount of time. I was planning to start learn VB first, then C++ and/or C#. Are these the best programming languages to get me started with windows programming and development?

VB.net & C# are popular languages and usually have the most job openings available. I originally started with VB (version 5) so I have a personal preference towards it. Also consideration should be given towards both desktop and web programming. No matter which language or platform you choose to program though, you will eventually need to interact with databases, so I would definitely prioritize this area for studying.

Web programming as in html and css? Databases as in php, sql?

Databases such as Sql Server, Access, Oracle etc... whatever type of programming eventually you will have the need to store large amounts of data and filter results and provide reports etc... As for web programming there are many languages and design environments to pick from.

I would start by taking a look in your local paper's classified section or on job boards. You'll get a real fast understanding of what many of the jobs are looking for, most being a combination of languages and other target areas to study.

Back