Parameter Collection Question

EStallworth

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am creating an app that has been using mainly SQL server connections. I now am having to connect to an Informix DB using ODBC. My question is why I am getting an error when I my parameters are in the same format that I had been using. I am assuming that I will have to actually create a parameters collection instead of just defining it. I am reading the MSDN llibrary and the reference book I have as well. But if anyone can explain it or just tell me why, I would very much appreciate it.

SELECT trans_no, trans_date, check_no, trans_amt, vend_no
FROM informix.transact
WHERE (vend_no = @Param1)

Then I define @Param1 with

OdbcDataAdapter1.SelectCommand.Parameters("@Param1").Value = Combobox1.Text

I get an error that says "An Odbc Parameter with the Parameter name 'Param1' is not contained by this Odbc Parameter Collection."

The short answer is that the ODBC doesn't support named parameters. Use the ? notation instead.

-tg

Sorry I didn't include my error message the first time, but I am getting the same error using the ? as well.

"An OdbcParameter with the Parameter name '?' is not contained by this OdbcParameterCollection."

The error message previously stated the same thing listing '@Param1' in the place of the '?'.

Problem solved guys.

I just went ahead and did it in code and it is working fine now.

VB.NET:
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] ODBCAdapt [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.Data.Odbc.OdbcDataAdapter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] connection [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Odbc.OdbcConnection([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]""[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2])[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] selectcommand [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] Odbc.OdbcCommand([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]"Select trans_no, trans_date, check_no, trans_amt, vend_no FROM informix.transact WHERE vend_no = ?"[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2], connection)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]selectcommand.Parameters.Add([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]"?"[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2], Odbc.OdbcType.NVarChar, 10, [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]"vendor_no"[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2])[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] param [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]String[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] = ComboBox1.Text.Remove(2, 1)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]selectcommand.Parameters([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]"?"[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]).Value = param.Remove(5, 1)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]ODBCAdapt.SelectCommand = selectcommand[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]ODBCAdapt.Fill(InformixDataSet11)[/SIZE]

Back