Resolved platform selection

ideprize

Programming Experience
10+
Lost on this one. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Have an issue with a vb.net program regarding vfpoledb not being registered. The fix is supposed to be change the target platform from Any CPU to x86. The x86 platform is not an option on my vs 2013. Created the x86 choice through the configuration manager but I am certain it is simply a copy of Any CPU due to the method of copy from the Any CPU source. The .exe from both areas \bin\release and \bin\x86\release are identical in size and the new .exe did not fix the vfpoledb issue. After further investigation it was suggested that after I did the copy edit the csproj file which does not exist in this vs but vbproj does. Can anyone tell me a way out of this labyrnth - I have removed the x86 created choice in hopes of creating a new proper x86 platform with 32 bit drivers that will allow the vfpoledb driver to be registered. Again any insights will be greatly appreciated!

Respectfully,
ideprize

That is the way to create x86 platform in Configuration Manager, you can check app in runtime with Environment.Is64BitProcess.

Actually since VS 2013 there is a checkbox in Compile tab of project properties that says 'Prefer 32-bit' also for AnyCPU builds for .NET 4.5+ projects.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response JohnH. I did confirm that the "prefer 32 bit" switch is on and I also incorporated the "Environment" check in the code to confirm that it is indeed running in 32 bit mode. This knowledge let me to the point that I am currently at which is the need to run the VFPOLEDBsetup.msi code. I can not reach the target system to confirm the outcome - yet; but the systems that do have this installation are working. I am not sure but I must assume that the execution of this code somehow "registers" the vfpoledb.dll. I will get back to you Monday to, hopefully, mark your reply as the answer for what you said indeed was a "windex" moment. Again, thanks.

Respectfully,
Ideprize

After installing the VFPOLEDBsetup.msi code I was able to "register" the VFPOLEDB.dll which then was able to access the target database. Your insights JohnH sent me down the correct path. Again thanks. I have been looking for a"mark as answer" link but cannot find one - has this changed?

I have been looking for a"mark as answer" link but cannot find one - has this changed?
Edit first post in thread and change Thread Prefix to Resolved or Answered, same as in our previous forums. Possibly you use the menu top-right of thread that says 'Edit Thread' to do this..

Last edited:
Back