Problem with application

stevegardner

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello all,

I have created an application which fetches data from 10 XML feeds at a time, filters it and sends it to the SQL 2005 server.

It was running well on my godaddy server and even on my local computer. But when I run it on the new server (where the SQL is also runs) it is not fetching all the data, but only from 4 xml feeds.

Can anyone help me.

I am having a very serious problem due to this.

Thanks in advance,

SteveGardner.

Where are the feeds coming from?

What error do you get?

Are you sure its not a network/routing/firewall issue? Is the new server on a differnet subnet than the other machines where it was working?

Problem with vb.net application

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The problem is, when I run the application on the same server where the SQL is placed, then I am having problems.

But if I run the same application on different computer, then there is no problem.

seems to me that, if the application is running well on different computer, where the SQL 2005 server became remote server. But if I run it on the main server, the SQL server will become local DB and it is not working correctly.

Any suggestion.

:confused:

Problem with vb.net application

Ok.

The get the feed from pointspread xml feed. This is a sports betting odds feeed, which I use to post to the SQL. From there I fetch them to my web application/desktop application for odds comparision.

I am not getting any sort of errors. But the point is, it is not connecting to the xml feed link from the server (where SQL is). But it connects to the link from any other computer.

The server dont have any firewall/router problems and it is not on the subnet.

I am from India and the server is in UK. When I run the application on my computer in India, then it works fine. But when I run on the server then it wont work.

If it works in India but not in the UK i sounds like a network issue.

Why are you 100% sure its not a firewall/routing problem?

I have asked the server admin and he told that there is no firewall installed for the server. Even I disabled the firewall that comes with SP1.

So, you mean the router is blocking the feed?

Well if the app is able to write 4 feeds to the database then it doesn't sound like a database problem.

I'm assuming the feeds aren't all from the same place, they are all coming from different servers?

Sounds 6 of them arnt able to reach the UK server. Meaning network.

I could be wrong though.

Are the feeds on different ports? Maybe the router blocks certain ports, or ip ranges.

:(:confused:

is there any solution for this. The feed comes from 10 different servers.

the server is accepting 4 connection and rejecting 6 connection.

Hello Sir,

Well, I have talked to the server admin in U.K. But he told that there is no firewall and the router allows free communication. I can browse the xml feed in IE on the server, but my application cannot get the feed when run on the server.

So, it seems that those xml links are not blocked by the router or firewall, but its the problem if we run the application and the SQL on the same server.

Back