Problem with visual studio licence

Suedehead

Programming Experience
Beginner
So, I had a 30 day free trial for Visual Studio 2019 which just expired. So, I logged into Microsoft web page via gmail on the same Visual studio application. I wasn't asked to enter any bank account or anything but all of a sudden I was just logged into via Visual Studio and the message popped out that my licence is successfully extended. And now I see my initials on the top of the program and it allows me to use the program. On what grounds? How could that happen? I am a bit worried now that they will send a bill to my address or something although I didn't do anything terminate. When I clicked the purchase button I expected that some window would appear and I could choose a form to buy or something... Please help me out, maybe someone now what could I done in this instance?

What edition of VS 2019 are you using? The Community edition is free and has most of the features of the Professional edition. Do you need anything more than Community?

I may be wrong about this but, if I remember correctly, the free trial of the Professional edition and above of VS 2017 was licensed for 30 days by default and that could be extended for another 120 days or the like by request once that initial period had expired. I would imagine that that is what has happened in your case too. Once that extended period expires though, you will have to pay or drop back to Community.

I am using VS 2019 Community. Still, weird that they said that the trial is over... and then magically, when I logged into the Microsoft profile using VS they said that the licence is extended.

This will happen every month if you don't log in to your VS account in VS once in a while. Visual Studio has to validate the license (even for free products, like Community) once a month. If you keep VS logged in, you shouldn't see this message anymore. Community is not a trial, it`s FREE.

Back