Question Register settings

AAshok

Programming Experience
1-3
What is code snippet for removing or editing the references of registry(removing registry dependencies) from the config file ?
We get that reg key from the registry editor of sln file in solution explorer it seems....I am really new to this please someone help me !!

Registry

Friends,

Please tell me the possibilities of removing references of regKey from the application.

As my company is upgrading the citrix machine (Windows server 2003 to 2008) from 32 bit to 64 bit, also database is upgrading from 4.71 to 5.01 version. In this case, the registry key path changes and it will be looking for the reg key in the same path and will throw error. In stead, we have to change the path and will be ok when we reinstall the .exe and .msi files.

Also, major concern is my client is looking for a permanent solution as everytime if the version changes, the regkey changes instead they want to remove the references of that regkey which is effecting.

Please tell me how we can remove the references of regkey from the registry editor ?

I think that there's a bit of a language barrier but I'm afraid that it's not completely clear what you want. My best guess is that you are currently retrieving data from the Windows Registry and, due to some software upgrades, the location of that data is about to change, so you want a way to be able to handle that in future without recompiling your own application.

Assuming that is the case, the simple fact is that, if you need data from other applications and they store that data in the Registry, you have no choice but to read that data from the Registry. The thing is, a Registry key name or value name is just a String, so they can come from anywhere a String can come from. It's very easy to store text in an external file and then read it into a String at run time.

The logical solution would seem to be that you leave your code basically as it is now but, instead of literal Strings for the Registry key and value names, you add some String settings to your app and read their contents from My.Settings at run time. Application settings are stored in the config file so, if those locations should change in the future, you can simply edit the config file, which is XML. That editing could be done by hand or by a Console application that you create specifically for the purpose.

This the path of the registry: SOFTWARE\TriZetto\Facets\471 which is not available in my local machine. Eventhough it is not, we should not worry but we have to make sure that we r not asking registry where to install. As registry is a path which .msi uses to install. So, install of referring to that we directly prompt users where to install and will do it there. " THis is what my manager told me"

When we click the .exe or .msi file to install the application, its popping up with the following error :

"COULD NOT ACCESS NETWORK LOCATION \ INTERFACES"

Please tell me how we can get rid of this.

Application running on 64-bit

When my application was set to 32-bit, the build succeed but tried to run on 64-bit then thats where the problem is coming.

here is the error when I run .msi or .exe files.

ERROR: "Could not access network location\Interfaces"

It is actually looking for the registry path to install which is different after migrating from 64-bit to 32-bit.
What my company is looking for is: insteading of changing the registry path every time you migrate, we remove the references of registry and directly prompt users where they want to install and will do it there.

Please help me how we do this.

@jmcilhinney

Thank you so much for your response.

Can you please guide me to how and what kind of changes we could do the config file settings to read the values directly by my.settings and get rid of the registry ?

I am trying to find out corflags.exe info from VS command prompt...I got that and when I type setup.exe then it displaying a popup window saying "Could not find the Network location\Interfaces"

Build succeeded but not able to install the .msi file....please tell me how to get rid of this.

.MSI/exe error

"Could not access the network location\Interfaces"

Please tell me why we have to face this error while installing the application and the build was succeed.

Moving from 32 bit to 64 bit will create any installation problems ??

Is .net Framework 2.0 compatible for 64-bit ?

The registry path got changed after migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit it seems and the .msi looking for the new registry path which is different now. I tried to change it to the new regkey value path but still throwing the same error. Could not access the network location\Interfaces".

Please help me the possible solutions to sort it out.

Could found the solution for my problem/error
"Could not access the network location\interfaces"

I removed the references of registry from where it is exactly pointing (path).....and given the default path as C drive for now and later user can change to their need ... got resolved hurray :)

Back