Saved - Lost? ... Please help

soberanalyst

Programming Experience
Beginner
i installed VB.NET Express 2010 yesterday. i started a new VB.NET App and was executing and saving and executing continously all day long.

overnight, my computer decided to run windows update and reboot ... when i open up VB.NET, there's no projects ... i can't find any of the work i did. i was saving constantly (obviously it has to save to compile and execute). i need this code ... can anyone please help me?

my computer decided to run windows update and reboot ... when i open up VB.NET, there's no projects ...
Sounds suspicious, any Windows update or even .Net updates shouldn't affect VS installation at all. You did look in menu File>Recent Projects ? There's also a Start Page that displays by default and has a Recent Projects list.

Default save location is in folder "<Documents>\Visual Studio 2010\Projects", but you can save a project anywhere really, you can also configure a different default root folder.

A project/solution doesn't have to be saved before compiling and running debug actually, not even once, in this case I found the temporary project files to be in folder "<user>\AppData\Local\Temporary Projects", though when I tested this I was asked when quitting VS to actively 'save or discard'.

Thanks!

thanks for the reply

i never saved, i guess ... or at least i never saved the Solution/Project ... so everything was in "appdata" in some "temporary projects" folder and not yet moved to "my documents"

after i figured all this out, i ran a program to retrieve deleted files and found my Form1.vb file to be over-written ... 125k gone ... yes, it's a lot of code ... i'm taking the rest of the day off and starting from scratch on the weekend ... first saving the entire solution/project!!!

apparently, it's a "feature" to open a new project, mess around, close it and have no trace for the purposes of testing out some junk or feature ... i'm impressed!!

seriously, garbage cleanup on a file created hours ago consisting of only 125k being deleted and the operating system utilizing that unused space already on a 500GB hard drive with hundreds of GB of space free just doesn't sound smart to me. i mess around in Office and SQL Management Studio all the time not doing anything serious and i always get lots of ".tmp" files asking me if i want to restore them from my last shut-down ... this just isn't smart. there's my rant!

Latest posts

Back