Question Sorting Specific Column in ListView

digitaldrew

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello Everyone..I hope someone can help me out a little here. I'm currently loading some information into a ListView box and I'm trying to sort the items by the date shown - but it doesn't appear to be working.

This is how the ListView normally looks
eaQSgiX.jpg

I've gone in and added the following code into my ListView1_ColumnClick

VB.NET:
    Private Sub ListView1_ColumnClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.ColumnClickEventArgs) Handles ListView1.ColumnClick
        ' Determine if the clicked column is already the column that is 
        ' being sorted.
        If (e.Column = ListView1Sorter.SortColumn) Then
            ' Reverse the current sort direction for this column.
            If (ListView1Sorter.Order = SortOrder.Ascending) Then
                ListView1Sorter.Order = SortOrder.Descending
            Else
                ListView1Sorter.Order = SortOrder.Ascending
            End If
        Else
            ' Set the column number that is to be sorted; default to ascending.
            ListView1Sorter.SortColumn = e.Column
        End If

' Perform the sort with these new sort options.
        ListView1.Sort()
    End Sub

Now this does seam to arrange them, but not exactly how I'd like. If you look at the screenshot below you'll see how the code above arranges the items..
pvNQzWN.jpg

As you see by looking at the screenshot above, it has arranged the items but it looks like it arranged them by the first set of numbers, not the actual date. How would I arrange these so the item with the oldest date would actually show up first?

The problem is that everything in a ListView is text, so sorting a ListView as is is simply going to sort "alphabetically". If you want the data treated as dates then you have to parse the text into Dates and then compare them as Dates. As such, your IComparer might look something like this:
Public Class ListViewItemComparer
    Implements IComparer

Private col As Integer

Public Sub New()
        col = 0
    End Sub

Public Sub New(ByVal column As Integer)
        col = column
    End Sub

Public Function Compare(ByVal x As Object, ByVal y As Object) As Integer Implements IComparer.Compare
        Dim item1 = DirectCast(x, ListViewItem)
        Dim item2 = DirectCast(y, ListViewItem)
        Dim text1 = item1.SubItems(col).Text
        Dim text2 = item2.SubItems(col).Text

If col = 1 Then
            Dim date1 = Date.ParseExact(text1.Split(":"c)(1), "dd-MMM-yyyy", Nothing)
            Dim date2 = Date.ParseExact(text2.Split(":"c)(1), "dd-MMM-yyyy", Nothing)

Return date1.CompareTo(date2)
        Else
            Return text1.CompareTo(text2)
        End If
    End Function
End Class

Thanks jmcil! This is exactly what I was thinking about your code looks similar to what I ended up doing.

Basically, I chopped of the "creation date:" portion with a split (like you did) and then converted the date (like you did)

One other small question, is there a way to sort the listview automatically as each new item is added in there? Right now it appears to work fine if you click on the column, but I would rather have it add each item alphabetically rather than having to wait for it to check all of them and then click the column to arrange it..

Thanks again!

UPDATE..I was able to fix my second question "is there a way to sort the listview automatically as each new item is added in there?" using this code:

VB.NET:
ListView1Sorter.SortColumn = 1
ListView1.Sort()

Back