Source Code Control

Bernie

Programming Experience
3-5
Is any using a source code control system they like? I'm currently using a manual process and I'm wondering about upgrading to a more automated system. Any input from your experiences?

Bernie

At home, I manually backup my stuff.

At work they use VSS (Visual SourceSafe) for Visual Studio integration and the java programmers use SubVersion for Eclipse integration

We were using VSS (Visual SourceSafe) at work; but, we have now moved to SubVersion with TortoiseSVN. We use VisualSVN Server (free) with VisualSVN Client ($49) for Visual Studio integration.

Here is great article on getting started with SubVersion using all free products:
Source Control for Visual Studio 2008: VisualSVN Server, TortoiseSVN, & AnkhSVN
Even though this is for 2008 I don't see why it wouldn't work for 2005 as well.

I'm still learning SVN and getting more into branches as you release a product and continue developing having 2 branches (release and trunk) and then merging one into another.

I like the "Revert" function, you make a change and then you want to go back to the previous version.

I wonder if source control program's source code is managed by a source control program

Ok so that's a bad riddle

Isn't that the old saying... "eat what you cook". I've been told that Microsoft doesn't use SourceSafe but another high end tool like Perforce or the likes of.

Back