Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

Need some help SQL SERVER and Windows Communication Foundation
Visual Basic .Net 2005/2008

First off I have an SQL SERVER with the Northwind Database

Second off I have a HOST

Third off I have a CLIENT

Now I can connect to SQL SERVER NORTHWIND DATABASE via datagrid, no problem and call down data, but I need the HOST to connect to the database and the client to connect to the Database *through*the HOST.

I have already set up windows Communication Foundation between the Host and the Client & i can already call data down from the SQL DATABASE NORTHWIND.

SQL SERVER – NORTHWIND DATABASE --------- HOST ---------- CLIENT

client.jpg

host.JPG

Please see pics of my forms to have a better understanding of what i mean, btw i m new to programming, although i m generaly a fast learner. p.s. hope this is the right sub-forum as its a general problem/enquiry :)

You do not provide enough information. At a minimun, you need to let people know the type of binding, type of host, security setting, etc that you are using in your application. If you are new to WCF, I suggest you learn it from book rather than on forum.

Just give you a very brief information. If you host your WCF in console application and your database is on the same machine, the connection is quite simple. If you host your WCF in IIS 7.0 (using Windows Activation Service), the connection is a bit tricky because IIS is running on a Process Identity which is not the same as the Caller's Identity. However, hosting your WCF in console application is not practical in production environment. NetTcpBinding and BasicHttpBinding (also other types of bindings) has different security implication too. Service Contract and Data Contract are another important area for learning WCF. This is just a tip of the iceberg about WCF. Don't be lazy. Learn WCF from the very beginning.

Back