Theme

JuggaloBrotha

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
I just want to mention that I like the new theme, though having vBulleton's logo in the top left corner kinda throws me off, is a new vbdotf logo in the process of being created?

Also, when I click "My Profile" in the top right corner, I get a blank white page, no header, content or footer is showing.

Also there's no logo showing here in this new post page either, which looks odd.

I made a post on the top forum that I'll be working on the style as I just wanted to get the forum back on for you guys. It looks like vBulletin 4.0.4 has a bug related to My Profile. I'll check into a fix tomorrow. They are getting lambasted for poor quality, sounds like they bit off a little more than they could chew.

On the toolbar, top left area, click "Forum Actions" and you can edit your profile within those options

To the right of "My Profile" click Settings as another area you may want to see.

Perhaps not theme related, but posts doesn't show users primary development framework. There are probably some tweaks to do with the new version.

Perhaps not theme related, but posts doesn't show users primary development framework. There are probably some tweaks to do with the new version.

Those are the mods I need to put back in. Do you think that's really worthwhile anymore? And do people update it? I think I'm going to just delete that profile field unless you all think it adds value.

I vote for either keeping it, or adding a thread prefix for selecting the VS version, don't have to include the FW version, but knowing the VS version would be nice.

And if you can have it show the VS version prefix on the thread page itself, that would be nice.

Those are the mods I need to put back in. Do you think that's really worthwhile anymore? And do people update it? I think I'm going to just delete that profile field unless you all think it adds value.
I have been using it to give advice relevant to the stated .Net version, whether people have been displaying the correct information is a different matter. JB's suggestion adding thread prefixes could probably be done, but I think less users will set this each post, there should probably be a default here also. Without any indication of .Net version I think there will be more confusion.

The pro with thread prefix is of course that it ties to the thread/post and doesn't change over time. A default setting tied to the user is easy to maintain globally and usually changes over time, but old threads may seem wrong when you read .Net 4 and the thread really related to .Net 2. Though if thread is answered some mark it as 'resolved' and the .Net version information is lost.

I have been using it to give advice relevant to the stated .Net version, whether people have been displaying the correct information is a different matter. JB's suggestion adding thread prefixes could probably be done, but I think less users will set this each post, there should probably be a default here also. Without any indication of .Net version I think there will be more confusion.
I dunno about that, the reason I suggest it here is because another vb related vbulliton forum I check uses VS version prefix's on the threads and I'd say usually half or more of the threads have it set. Here's what I'm talking about (dont need to be a member to view this) Visual Basic .NET - VBForums
The pro with thread prefix is of course that it ties to the thread/post and doesn't change over time. A default setting tied to the user is easy to maintain globally and usually changes over time, but old threads may seem wrong when you read .Net 4 and the thread really related to .Net 2. Though if thread is answered some mark it as 'resolved' and the .Net version information is lost.
This is the other reason I'm suggesting it. I have three versions of VS installed and my profile only let's me specify 1 version so in my first post here I was specifying the version of VS but that got old 2 or 3 years ago because I'd rather just specify the version next to the title but I can't do that here.

In a lot of ways it'd be nice if in the vb related sub forums you could specify the version of VS and in the database subforums you could specify the DB type (access, mysql, oracle, sql server) and we'd have 1 (maybe 2) db-subforums instead of a subforum for each one, but I also realize that I'm probably getting to be too specific here since the focus is vb programming and we just happen to have some db subforums here.

What all does that facebook thing at the top do?

I'm not that familiar with Facebook Connect, if anyone else knows I'm all ears too.

The other facebook integration where there are "Like" buttons I believe will post the thread to your Facebook wall if you click that you Like it.

I do some facebook stuff with my Logbook software. This is what tipped me to buy the upgrade to vBulletin 4...when I saw they had integrated Facebook I wanted it! Otherwise I was very happy with the 3.8.5 version I was using. There are quite a few bugs in 4.x but it's a new "major" release - just a shame because 3.x was so good.

Back