Resolved Try Catch Exception handling has become very sluggish following recent system restart

22-degrees

Programming Experience
1-3
I have recently moved house and my PC was packed away for about 5 weeks. I hooked it up again about 2 weeks ago. Everything appears to be working fine. Last week however, following a restart of my PC to allow Windows 7 Updates to install, I discovered that exceptions thrown in Try Catch blocks were no longer being handled at high-speed as normal, but instead were taking circa 20 seconds to process. I performed a system restart and this fixed the issue.

However the same thing has happened today upon restarting to allow updates to install but upon performing another system restart, the issue still remains.. 20+ seconds to handle simple exceptions..

I am out of my depth here and don't have the slightest clue why this is now happening. I would assume that if it had anything to do with Windows 7 Updates, I would not be the only one with this issue but I didn't find anyone else having the same problem so the issue is with my system. Does anyone have any ideas why something like this might happen?

Last edited:
Is the behaviour the same for a variety of exceptions? Are you sure that throwing and catching one exception is not causing a cascade of other exceptions? I'm guessing not for that second question if the same code behaved differently before but it's worth asking.

Yes it appears to be happening over a variety. I tried creating a simple deliberate format exception and again it took 20+ seconds to handle.

I'll try a re-install of the Service Pack, perhaps a wire or two got crossed.

(Edit) On second thought, a reinstall sounds like a lot of hassle for this time of night, maybe tomorrow!

Last edited:
Back