Trying to publish site. 500 internal server error. Godaddy = Useless.

NJDubois

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hey all! Having a problem over here and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. Trying to learn MVC/C#/ASP.NET and doing great, but when I publish and upload my site I run into issues. The site is at nickscanvas.com and I'm getting a 500 error. It has something to do with the web config file.

First off, I was using the web.config file that VS generated and put in the folder when I published the project. The webpage said I needed to turn custom errors on so I did. This didn't work at first and had to call godaddy a few times. I was getting this 500 error. So I called again today, They were able to get the errors outputting. Trust level. No problem, put that line in the web config and bam, back to 500 error, back to that AWESOME godaddy hold music.

Before you start with the "You can silence it!" I say, not when the rep puts you on hold...

Any how.

The last rep told me, pretty much, it's your problem. Which I find just GREAT. I have to go line for line, examine the code. It has something to do with the web config file, but I can't get past the trust level with out getting the 500. The code looks like this:

VB.NET:
<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>

<trust level="Full" />

</configuration>

VS Express 2013 for Web. The site is hosted at nickscanvas.com but the actual url is musicwhynot.com/nickscanvas/

Deluxe Microsoft Web Hosting package from GoCrappy. IIS: 7.0, .net version: asp.net 4.0/4.5.

I don't know if there is any other details I can give you. When I run the application from my local host of course it all works fine.

Any pointers? You can't just google a 500 error, visual studios isn't tell me anything. I'm in the dark!

Thanks for any help in advance!

Nick

[EDIT] WEll... not really an edit, just extra question. Maybe the sub domain is an issue? I can't clear musicwhynot.com, but I do have a client with a test server I can play around with. Would putting the web app in the root path solve this? Thanks. [/EDIT]

Well, do you have a log? Why are you trying to debug your project on an external host? Why not publish it to a local web server you can examine the logs of? 500 is Server Error, and usually indcates a problem with the server configuration. You should make sure that your web site works correctly when hosting in IIS locally first, and THEN publish it to the production server.

Thank you for the reply! I am not trying to debug it, I'm trying to post it. Have a website up!

When I "run" it from visual studios everything works, is that the same as making sure it works when hosted in IIS locally? Or is there more to that?

Again, thanks for the reply. I am still unsure what to do?

Nick

Yes, it pretty much is the same thing. There must be something wrong with the hosted server's configuration then. Retain payment until the host fixes the problem or at least tells you what you need to do to fix it. Alternatively, you could setup a virtual machine with the same IIS version and approximate configuration locally and test it on there. If you encounter the same problem you will be able to look at the IIS logs to determine the source of the problem.

So far, it seems that GoDaddy is off the hook. I created a new template MVC project. Just bare bones, changed nothing. Published it, uploaded, and it works. BUT! When I click the register link, it gives me an error inside the application.

You can see this at
nickscanvas.com

So it seems the application is having trouble with the database part of the application.

My next question is, how do I trouble shoot the error I get on the register link? When I run it locally everything works. It is my understanding that the application creates the tables if they don't exist so I am guessing there is somewhere in the web.config file where I need to change the connection string to the database server hosted by godaddy. Going to be starting my research now and will update this post if anything changes!

Any pointers?

Thanks for all the help,
Nick

In Firefox, you can open the developer console by pressing F12. If I open up your URL (nickscanvas.com) and press F12, go to the Console tab, and press the register link, this is what I see:

VB.NET:
GET http://nickscanvas.com/nickscanvas/Account/Register [HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error 100ms]
Use of getUserData() or setUserData() is deprecated.  Use WeakMap or element.dataset instead. requestNotifier.js:52
reflow: 0.2ms function window.Modernizr</r.touch/<, modernizr line 1
reflow: 0.47ms function window.Modernizr</r.touch/<, modernizr line 1
reflow: 0.2ms function window.Modernizr</r.generatedcontent/<, modernizr line 1
reflow: 0.16ms
reflow: 0.37ms
Error in parsing value for 'background-image'.  Declaration dropped. css:1
Expected color but found 'left'.  Error in parsing value for 'background-image'.  Declaration dropped. css:1
Expected media feature name but found 'touch-enabled'. Register:1
Expected media feature name but found '-webkit-touch-enabled'. Register:1
Expected media feature name but found '-o-touch-enabled'. Register:1
Expected media feature name but found '-ms-touch-enabled'. Register:1
Expected media feature name but found 'modernizr'. Register:1
Unknown property '-moz-opacity'.  Declaration dropped. Register
Error in parsing value for 'background-image'.  Declaration dropped. Register
Expected color but found 'left'.  Error in parsing value for 'background-image'.  Declaration dropped. Register
reflow: 0.24ms
reflow: 0.43ms
reflow: 0.18ms function i.support</<, jquery line 1
reflow: 0.4ms function i.support</<, jquery line 1
reflow: 0.17ms function i.support</<, jquery line 1
reflow: 0.16ms function i.support</<, jquery line 1
reflow: 0.52ms function i.support</<, jquery line 1
reflow: 0.12ms function i.support</<, jquery line 1
reflow: 0.17ms
reflow: 0.37ms
GET http://nickscanvas.com/nickscanvas/Content/css [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 80ms]

And this is the most basic debugging tool. You need to look at your server's logs.

I have always considered the developers console to be for client side errors. I didn't even think to look at it.

Based on the output, it doesn't seem like my error is having any additional info outputted into the console. This is why you want me to look at the servers logs right?

Going to be looking at those now. Come on godaddy.

Thanks!

Nick

Alright, here is an update! Making progress. My plan with godaddy doesn't provide logs? Or, if there was a log, it would be in the server directory. Not sure what the rep said.

BUT, he had me disable custom errors and now I am getting what I expected to get. "The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy." So I set the level to full in the web.config and re published it directly to the FTP server and I'm still getting this error. Looking into it more, I read that it could be set at the server level and I can't find an option to change it myself in godaddy's admin panels. So, I'm going to call them again here in just a second.

I'm getting there, thanks for the help!

Nick

[EDIT]Google "godaddy sucks" for some laughs[EDIT]

Last edited:
Back