Unhandled exception in .exe start, but not in debugger...?

vbnetArizona

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm brand new learning VB.net (express 2010) and writing my first VB.Net application. It seems to work fine in the IDE while running it in the debug mode, but the published .exe file gives this error message at startup of the .exe file...then allows me to continue, and the program seems to work fine.

unhandledexception.jpg

Why would the code work in the IDE but give this error upon startup of the .exe?

Since it happens BEFORE the program actually starts (as soon as I click the .exe), I have no idea where the error could be in the program...especially since it's working fine (without errors) in the IDE.
I'm baffled.

Last edited:
See the button that says "Details"? That will probably show you some details about the error. You've got the error message and those details will likely tell you where it happens.

Details...

See the button that says "Details"? That will probably show you some details about the error. You've got the error message and those details will likely tell you where it happens.
Yes, I tried that and it gave me this error information about the file "tempscores.txt"...
exceptiontext.jpg

BUT, the file DOES exist, and in fact when I click on "Continue" them it DOES find it and continues to load it and execute properly.

CAN anyone make any sense out of this exception text shown in the details?

Why would it not find tempscores.txt on execution of the .exe...then it does find it when I click "Continue"?

I can't find a solution to make the error go away on startup of the .exe...otherwise it works great! LOL!

Back