Visual Basic 14

JohnH

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
Some interesting news of near future of VB language in VS 2015:
Visual Basic .NET - 14 Top Improvements in Visual Basic 14

#1 'extract method' refactoring has been on my wish list for some time (and researching how to write such extension is on todo list). I usually start with unstructured code and refactor manually later. For VS 2013 I found a 'Move to new file refactoring' extension that is also useful.

I have already been using Resharper for refactoring, but I agree refactoring in general in the IDE will be nice. Not sure if it will be able to do everything R# can, we'll see...

I have already been using Resharper for refactoring,
I have looked into that and other options as well, but they come with steep price tag for a non-profit hobby developer like myself. For professionals it is probably worth it.
but I agree refactoring in general in the IDE will be nice. Not sure if it will be able to do everything R# can, we'll see...
That it will not, still a good step up from current 'rename' factoring that is the only feature VB has in VS. (maybe 'create method/property stub' counts also)

The free partnered Refactor! addin that is mentioned was later replaced with Coderush Express, which is also discontinued and is no longer available. They were also not supported in VB Express. The current CodeRush is similarly priced as Resharper.

Back