Question VS 2012 Release exe not working correctly when build with .net 4.0

te777

Programming Experience
1-3
In VS 2012, my application works correctly when in I build with .net 3.5 client profile. It's a simple standalone app that's reads data from from 2 text files and then outputs some text files. Debug and and release exe's execute as standalone with .net 3.5. But with when I build with .net 4.0 client profile only the debug exe reads the input files, not the release exe. It works in the IDE. Any insight would be appreciated.

Where is the input files? In debug folder?

The input files are in both the debug and release folders. The release works fine in release configuration in the IDE, but not as a standalone executable, which is what I need to deploy the app.

There's nothing inherent with what you're trying to do that would make that happen so it's something specific to what you're actually doing. A good place to start would be to explain what actually happens when you run the code. If there's an error then there's an error message. That error message is there to help you diagnose the issue so don't just ignore it. You wouldn't expect a doctor to diagnose your condition without describing the symptoms.

The app reads data from the text file to process and display the results on text boxes. There's nothing wrong with the code. Like I said, it works perfectly with the .net 3.5 client profile configuration. The standalone exe runs perfectly on both debug and release builds. Only in 4.0 client profile the standalone release exe does not read the input files. The debug exe works good too. Just in release build the results are all 0s and empty strings.

Back