What's the Best way to learn VB?

Rex_Beginner

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm attempting to learn VB, SQL, and VS.2005 at the same time. I've been an AS/400 programmer for 28 years and I'm way behind the curve on this technology. I've started my first application but I need help. I can handle SQL pretty easily because I've used it in my job. But now my employer wants me to learn VB and VS. Can someone recommend a good tutorial that I and my fellow programmers can use to learn this and be productive in a relatively short time. We have some projects that will be coming up soon. My employer will be purchasing the tutorial (hopefully one time for all of our team). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

If this site were active you'd have an answer by now.
I am in need also of learning of best online tutorial that exists.

Can anyone help me get started. How do i know what .NET FRAMEWORK I have on my computer. I have VISTA installed in my home laptop andWindos XP in my office computer. Please help me how can i get started in VB.NET programming.

Please help me how can i get started in VB.NET programming
First thing would probably be to download either vb.net or c#.net Express edition.
Next step would probably be to determine your actual skills. If you never learned any programming language, you might look for some absolute beginner materials (ebook, pdf whatever). This might be a starting point:
Development for Beginners | Tools, Lessons, Resources on MSDN

Can anyone help me get started. How do i know what .NET FRAMEWORK I have on my computer. I have VISTA installed in my home laptop andWindos XP in my office computer. Please help me how can i get started in VB.NET programming.

as far as i know, .net framework comes with windows vista and no need to install it. if you want to install the just the framework in your xp computer you have to download the .net framework from microsoft but you can also install it with ms visual studio

start learning only the syntax and the basics (delegates,subroutines , variables ,loops etc)so you can write a code to provide minimum functionality with no syntax errors and exceptions then you can browse the .net framwork class libraries and the examples on each library on msdn ............to know how to properly deal with classes ,functions , subroutines etc.. dnt read books too much

Learning Visual Basic / Visual Studio

Learning how to program is different than learning how to use Visual Studio to do the job.

If you already know how to translate a set of requirements into a description of the tasks an application has to do, you can make up some test projects, and try to build them in VB.Net or C#.

I started learning the language Visual Basic by just screening the keywords in some eBook, getting a global idea of the possibilities. The next step was to make small applications, gradually enlarging the scope. Combining small solutions into one usefull application is more a matter of being a programmer, not being a Visual Basic Programmer, at least, that is my opinion.

Some small tools you can start to pratice with are:
  • Simple form, one text field, one button, one label. Type in text in the textbox, press the button, and show the text in the label.
  • Make a form with a textbox and a button. Type in the textbox a number (i.e. 2). Pressing the button shows a Message (MsgBox), telling what number you typed (One, Two, Three, etc.)
  • Enlarge the previous tool: check if the number is between 5 and 25. If less, show message "Less", if more show message "More". If between 5 and 25 show "Perfect"
  • Enlarge the previous tool: create a textfile and write the typed numbers in it. Check the result with Notepad.
  • Enlarge the previous tool: Open the file, and calculate the sum and the average of the typed numbers. Show this in a messagebox.

Search solutions on forums like this, TheCodeProject, or join Developer's Challenges.

Back